BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to fill rock chips on a hood before a respray.

These are chips when a tiny section of clearcoat has come off.

In the past on a similar project I has wet sanded the hole area until smooth but after the respray, I could notice a low spot in the area where the chip once was.

I am guessing I need to fill the hole with someting durable and that hardens (not body filler) and then smooth it out.

What do you guyz recommend?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could sand out the chips all the way down to bare metal, use a highbuild prime, sand out, flat and then prep rust of hood for respray. You might want to use a sealer on the area that was worked so your paint (base coat) and clear won't have any issues.
HTH

dlm ny country

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
What is the proper way to fill rock chips on a hood before a respray.

These are chips when a tiny section of clearcoat has come off.

In the past on a similar project I has wet sanded the hole area until smooth but after the respray, I could notice a low spot in the area where the chip once was.

I am guessing I need to fill the hole with someting durable and that hardens (not body filler) and then smooth it out.

What do you guyz recommend?
Why not body filler? This is exactly the kind of thing that it's made for.

The only other option is to strip the whole panel down the bare metal.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Only way to do it right is to sand below the level of the chips. My M Roadster had the hood resprayed at some point. I can tell because over time the filler shrinks and becomes noticeable. I'm going to have to have it resprayed, doing just that... Taking it down below the level of imperfection.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
Only way to do it right is to sand below the level of the chips. My M Roadster had the hood resprayed at some point. I can tell because over time the filler shrinks and becomes noticeable. I'm going to have to have it resprayed, doing just that... Taking it down below the level of imperfection.
This is true but it happens very quickly, within days. Shops trying to churn and burn work out the door will slap a single coat on and then DA it down as soon as it's flashed and then shoot it. If you take your time and either wait until it's well hardened before sanding or do another skim coat a few days after the initial one and then paint you get by that.

Filler gets a bad rap because people misuse it, but it has its place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts