E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
did u notice an increase in bass? did it truly solve the problem? i had my "sub" enclosure and "amp" replaced twice, and they stuffed the rear deck full of foam, and it still buzzes badly, and i dont even put the bass up high

thx for the info and pics, holes are about 1 inch in diameter?

-brendan

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
tighter bass.... i know that an air sealed box will always be tighter than a ported box,,, so i dunno how much sense that makes to me, but its probly worth a try, i cant stand listening to a kick ass track, only to have it ruined by my rear deck buzzing like crazy :sad:

thx

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
i fixed it myself and noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in bass/bass quality. no more rattle, even on high bass w/ a loud ass, "bass-filled" song on..here's how:

1) Remove wires from back of sub
2) Unscrew 4 bolts from subwoofer (small wrench in tool kit is perfect fit)
3) There are 2 plastic connectors that snap into the sub to hold it on and some latches in the back of the sub (closer to the cabin = back of sub)...i think they are in the back...slide it out from the latches and pull down, pull hard to snap away the plastic connectors, you have to pull real hard, dont worry your not about to break anything, you just have to pull
4) inside the space where the sub was attatched take several shirts/socks/towels, whatever and stuff them inside that space really hard, stuff the space as full as you can and REALLY hard. i cant stress that enough.
5) replace subwoofer, plug it back in and turn up the volume!

DISCLAIMER: Do the DIY on your own disgretion and if you are not a very mechanically compitent person, i suggest taking your car to the dealership then. I am not responsible for any damages incurred in the process.

Shouldnt be too difficult, took me like 20 minutes and sounds so much better! good luck, any questions or if your stuck and need some pics of something just PM me! good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sorry to say but this is not fixing it.

They did a damn bandaid fix on your car. First of all, almost all rattles are attributed to the rear deck rattling not the subs or enclosures. Bassicaly what they have done is to remove some bass from your system so the deck doesn't rattle.

Now if you say before and after this mod the bass stayed the same I'd believe you but I'm 100 percent sure it did not.

The dealer tried to fix mine by using another technique, placing huge blocks of foam in the rear deck holes for the subwoofers, basically drowning the subs of air. So basically I had no bass from the subs and had to remove the deck myself to find out what they did and then removed my subs to take out the foam and the bass returned. They had replaced my head unit also which caused problems with static. Recently they replaced my amp to resolve static which helped but for some reason CD's still have problems. So I still have rattles, I have new static only in CD's now, and the steering wheel control volume down button still makes next cd or programmed station track change. Fuking BMW needs to resolve this shiat!

JetBlackE46 said:
the dealer fixed this a while back but i never figured out what they did until recently. apparently they drilled 4 holes in the back of the hk case. now it's "ported"

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Goto all data, there is a new item listed for HK rattle.

If there is someone going in for service soon, find out what this item is:

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 651301 FEB 02 Audio System - Subwoofer Rattles Parcel Shelf

chrisflipmd said:
Is there any official BMW document they found that used this method to fix HK rattle, or did your dealer find this out on their own?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The dealer did he same thing to my hk with the holes ,only he bored out 4 1 1/4 holes,that was in April 2001.everthing is fine.the dealer said that it was BMW's fix for the problem.he never said anything about the foam in the rear deck.
vern

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yeah they said pluggins the sub holes was BMW's fix to.

There is another fix which is lining the vent which is a source of the rattle with velcro tape. This makes less room for the deck to move. Basically that is what the sock fix is doing. Pushing the deck up against the back window so it won't move.

vernong said:
The dealer did he same thing to my hk with the holes ,only he bored out 4 1 1/4 holes,that was in April 2001.everthing is fine.the dealer said that it was BMW's fix for the problem.he never said anything about the foam in the rear deck.
vern

1 - 15 of 15 Posts