BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has nyone here ever had a fibreglass bodykit on an E46 coupe? By this I mean front & rear bumper, and sideskirts

If so would you reccomend them or would you say stay well away?

Thanks

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,762 Posts
don't do it, most fiberglass kits were cheaper replicas kits like three years ago.

now even the worst replicas come in some kind of urethane, so stay away.

fiber glass is hard too fit since you cant flex the original molding without it snap cracking, the only fiber glass part I can recommend is things like roof spoilers that stay clear from the ground.

eurospec is probably the best place to get any bodykit aftermarket part, paul and martin are absolutely the best and most trusted.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
yeah fiber glass is no good. if you have to do something in fiberglass I would do the sideskirts because you get enough rock chips on the front or even scrape and you can spider web and shatter your front bumper. not to mention fitment sucks and the money you spend to correct everything you could have just bought the real abs or even cf kit for that matter

·
6,762 Posts
if you go into the local cali forum, eurospec holds meets for fanatics to come out and hang out. All of them have had awesome turn outs and all the people that comes out for eurospec have been nothing but exceptional at customer care, and you can clearly see their passion for the euro scene. Having met paul martin and crew, and having been to their warehouse here in LA, I would vouche for them totally since even without payment they offered their product right there on the spot for me at the meet( I had no cash on hand) trusting in me their customer and in return getting trust and loyalty back from me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah, but fiberglass can be reglassed and reshaped.
Exactly.

If you can find a non-fiberglass kit that fits perfectly then buy that. Personally I haven't seen one yet.

I like fiberglass because it can be worked on to fit perfectly. Yes a non-fiberglass kit can be worked to some extent depending on what material it is but it's hit and miss for durability on the repairs/changes you made. Fiberglass repairs will be stronger then the original piece.

Non-fiberglass might be able to handle a bumper slightly better but only slightly don't believe the hype.

·
6,762 Posts
I've had both the fibergalss and AB plastic kit, and I tell you str8 up fiberglass replicas are crap. It might be "reshaped" to look great but a coupla months down the line, your gonna hit one of the concrete things on the parking, or a dip and the think wll crack off. As for fitting abs , all you need is to heat it up and it will mold and bend much easier than FG. I've had 2 fiberglass kits when I first got into the e46 scene, heck I was planning to start a buisness spraying(painting) fiberglass kits and selling them to people on here when I joined four years ago until competitive abs replica kits started coming in hordes for hong kong/taiwan.

and for handling bumpers, when you screw in a fg kit, the edges where the screws are holding the kit will eventually crack unless you apply glue all the time.

·
6,762 Posts
for example if I kick the living sheit out of your fibergalss kit, it will crack and I'll probably punch a whole right through it, it will splinter and your will hear it snap.

I you kick the living sheit outta my abs kit, you'll make it fall off(maybe the clips will give away) but you wont break it or be able to make a hole through it because it will only dent and bend.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've had both the fibergalss and AB plastic kit, and I tell you str8 up fiberglass replicas are crap. It might be "reshaped" to look great but a coupla months down the line, your gonna hit one of the concrete things on the parking, or a dip and the think wll crack off. As for fitting abs , all you need is to heat it up and it will mold and bend much easier than FG. I've had 2 fiberglass kits when I first got into the e46 scene, heck I was planning to start a buisness spraying(painting) fiberglass kits and selling them to people on here when I joined four years ago until competitive abs replica kits started coming in hordes for hong kong/taiwan.

and for handling bumpers, when you screw in a fg kit, the edges where the screws are holding the kit will eventually crack unless you apply glue all the time.
If a kit is crap a kit is crap no matter what it's made of. If you hit something that's made out of concrete your gonna at the least damage your paint and possible tear or crack a poly kit. Personally I can fix a FG part and paint it in a few minutes can't do that with poly.

The only reason the edges will crack after time is because it was installed under stress or there wasn't enough mounting locations to support the weight. The same can happen with poly no doubt.

I would buy whatever fit the best from the start it's much less hassle that way and then just don't run in to stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Always wondered why companies like Hamann still make their kits, especially expensive ones like GTR out of a fiberglass blend rather then polyurethane OEM material.... Chipped body kits look so damn cheap especially on BMW's.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
stick with the plastic IMO... g/l man

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Most important to me is the fact that if you have a FG kit and you car is lowered BMW will not put your cars on a rack.

Secondly, I've seen way too many "cracked" front lips and side skirts on locals rides from alignment rack mishaps, speed bumps, drive ways etc. Just not worth the hassel IMO.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah, don't get FG, not good quality IMO, get Polyurethane or ABS somthing along that line you won't regret it down the road!

·
Registered
419 Posts
dont use FG front bumpers, skirts are fine.. i have FG skirts and rear add-on and im lowered, the skirts are still perfect and so is the rear add-on just go slow on speed bumps and on an angle if the bump is huge

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
i would avoid fiberglass.

my skirts are partially fiberglass (with a cf central layer which keeps the thing rigid).

The problem with fiberglass is it requires a ton of prep work, doesn't come out looking all that good in the end, and will snap in a heartbeat if you give it enough pressure (ie hit a pothole the wrong way)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Fiberglass for the front would not be a very good idea. Although my sideskirts and rear lip are made from fiberglass, my front is poly urethane. I've scraped my sideskirts a few times and even had it hit a speed bump hard a couple of times and it still hasn't cracked (*knock on wood*). IMO, a front of any kind should be made out of a flexible material and the sides and rear being made out of fiberglass should be fine if you have no choice. Most often, I will scrape the front more than anything else.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Kerscher makes FG products (M-line & M-line II front fascia) and from what I hear, they're pretty good.

Yeah, I've seen the really crappy FG bodykits on a host of imports and what rocks do to them! I haven't seen higher-quality FG aftermarket in person, but all FG can't be THAT bad. Otherwise, as someone else put it, why would leading tuners like Hamann still use FG?

One thing I didn't know is the the early Lexus LS400 used fiberglass for rear bumpers. My parents old '93 was rear-ended at a light once, years ago. It only scuffed the paint. And you could clearly see the fiberglass texture. The rear bumper never broke, warped or craked, even after taking a 20mph impact from a Jeep Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts