BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering either super charging or putting a turbo kit on my 2005 330ci zhp. I have been doing some searching and have some kits in mind. Does anyone know if an east coast installer. I couldn't do the install myself, and would like an experienced shop to perform the install. Have any Pros vs Cons of S/C to Turbo? I would like to talk to one of the guys at ESS, seems like their TS1 for zhp's is priced ok. Feel free to comment, I will have around 7k to spend.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does 7K include the cost of the install or is this just for the kit? I don't think you can turbo for this amount but you would probably be able to cover the ESS stage one kit with the install for 7K. Full boost at 2200rpm is excellent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this would probably be the total I may could do 8k. I agree I really like the ESS kit and think its the most boost for the buck but I just wanted other people to chime in.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No personal experience, but based on the HP/TQ numbers from ESS and of course the ability to upgrade to subsequent stages, it seems like a good choice. Twin screw has the advantage of creating boost at much lower RPM's which is a huge plus while still emulating peak HP numbers of comparable kits.

Also look at Active's kits, you could get a stage 2 kit which is a big bump in peak HP but a drop in TQ vs the ESS kit and peak boost doesn't come until almost 7k RPM. You'd still stay within your budget though.

Either way I don't think you'll go wrong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the quick responses. I dont want this topic to become a battle but the only reason i may stay away from aa is because a close friend of mine has a 2005 m3 and drove to have them install the best kit they offer and all the extras (ach. Injected, etc) and his car is currently in the shop and had been in and out of them since in install. But I am still open minded maybe one of the cheaper kits may not push the car so hard. But now I must sleep. Ha ha.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
No personal experience, but based on the HP/TQ numbers from ESS and of course the ability to upgrade to subsequent stages, it seems like a good choice. Twin screw has the advantage of creating boost at much lower RPM's which is a huge plus while still emulating peak HP numbers of comparable kits.

Also look at Active's kits, you could get a stage 2 kit which is a big bump in peak HP but a drop in TQ vs the ESS kit and peak boost doesn't come until almost 7k RPM. You'd still stay within your budget though.

AA ftw. stage 2 with oem cats installed is 350 rwhp... add headers and 2.5's meth and your at near 380.. crap on e9x m3 land

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

AA ftw. stage 2 with oem cats installed is 350 rwhp... add headers and 2.5's meth and your at near 380.. crap on e9x m3 land and thats only around 8k installed

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an m3 with an ess kit and love it. My only wish is that a twin screw setup would work on the m3.

For me, no question go with ess ts kit. I'd try to sprig for the ts2 bc of the fmic. Talk to ess about price, they were very surpisingly flexible in my situation.

You will love the ess. My tune is rock solid with 100 percent smooth idle every time.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
At one point MaximumPSI in NJ was installing TT Stage 1 kits for a little over $7K (awesome deal!).

When I was shopping I had it down to ESS vs. Technique Tuning as well. I went with the TT turbo for its complete lack of supercharger belt issues and greater efficiency. Also, with a turbo, you can install a boost controller to dial down the power with the push of a button.

Long term review of my car here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854513

Two things:
  • If you haven't already I would get the subframe reinforced, SFB's replaced, RTABs replaced and diff bushings replaced before doing any FI.
  • If you're looking at Stage 1 supercharger kits (without intercoolers), make sure you can find a few enthusiastic recommendations on the exact kit you're looking at before you buy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
you could get more power out of both centri SC ot turbo but I still prefer ESS TS for the easy install, low maintenance and low end power
theres 2 centri s/c's in this thread :confused: i think AA has the only 1 and ess has a twin screw. id go AA just becausei do alotta highway driving and droping a gear from 5th to 3rd at 5k rpm and just blasting of sounds good to me :D

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
theres 2 centri s/c's in this thread :confused: i think AA has the only 1 and ess has a twin screw. id go AA just becausei do alotta highway driving and droping a gear from 5th to 3rd at 5k rpm and just blasting of sounds good to me :D
With the TS, you can "blast off" without even having to drop a gear. Of course, the acceleration is that much better if you do. You can make great peak numbers with any of the kits but only the TS and turbo provide any meaningful low and mid-range punch which most benefit daily driving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
With the TS, you can "blast off" without even having to drop a gear. Of course, the acceleration is that much better if you do. You can make great peak numbers with any of the kits but only the TS and turbo provide any meaningful low and mid-range punch which most benefit daily driving.
This is true.

Though on my m3, redline of 7900rpm, tq starts coming on at 3500-4k. So midrange is strong, but a fatter powerband is ideal.

Having owned turbo cars and my centri sc3, twin screw no doubt.

I wouldn't go turbo bc of complexity of the parts involved (exhaust mani, oil lines etc)

edit : ^^^^^ where are you located in Texas txzhp?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Active Autowerke 30th Anniversary Promotional Offer!!!

Hey DSpencer18,

Sorry I haven't replied to this earlier Bimmerfest East has me sidetracked. Please feel free to contact me directly via E-Mail that way I can provide you with more information regarding our Supercharger Kit for the E46 330. I will be more than glad give you the breakdown of the system and help answer all of your questions. Looking forward to hear back from you soon, that way you enter the F/I World :4ngie:.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
True the price is attractive it it's also aa's reputation for reliability that I like which makes go that route. To each his own

1 - 20 of 56 Posts