BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok taking my car into service tomorrow and need to know a couple of things...

-- My brakes are real bad,will they fix it under warranty with all the isht ive done to my car ?? Does the warranty cover pads and rotors if theyre messed up??

-- Ive been having these weird squeeking noises from my car (and no not the brake sound noise) Will they fix that or blame that also on what ive done to my car??

-- Will it be a problem getting my car on the lift???

-- How long does the 11000 mile ispection take in total ??

Please answer these simple questions for me so i know what im dealing with. ALso if you guys have any other comments on what to look out for and past experiences your contribution will be appreciated cuz im takin it in tomorrow, thanks

·
Resident CF Whore
2,780 Posts
I don't know the answers to many of those questions... but I do know that my dealership (BMW Seattle) was going to charge me an hour extra in labor ($100/hr) for bumper removal/mounting to get my car onto a lift without scratching the bumper.
So.... they can kiss my @ss cause I told them "HELL NO!".

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
although kiss my a$$ would be my first answer too, im curious what did you do after that ??? take it somewhere else ??? And for the other questions i know you guys the answers so please help me out...

·
Bahn Burnah
2,360 Posts
-- My brakes are real bad,will they fix it under warranty with all the isht ive done to my car ?? Does the warranty cover pads and rotors if theyre messed up??

-- Ive been having these weird squeeking noises from my car (and no not the brake sound noise) Will they fix that or blame that also on what ive done to my car??

-- Will it be a problem getting my car on the lift???

-- How long does the 11000 mile ispection take in total ??

1)As long as you haven't been autocrossing or taking your car to the track, you should be good for your brakes. I've had both rotors & pads (pads 2 times) replaced under warranty.
2)can't answer the squeeking noises, they should at least check for free. But I will say, that at low speeds, sometimes I hear a weird squeek too. But I never got it looked into
3) shouldn't be, they have the right equipment to protect your side skirts.
4) get a loaner :D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Brakes are considered a wear & tear item, they won't be replaced under warranty unless defective (ie very few miles & they're already gone).

They are however, covered under the free full maintainence.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks...

for #2 the noise is really strange... its like two pieces of metal rubbing against eachother and i cant make out where its comin from but it is at low speeds...

for #3 its my front that im mostly worried about... so they cant deny service to me cuz of my kit right ?

for #4 loaner is cool but im takin it without an appointment... is this an hourly process or one that takes days ?? And loaner is free of charge too ??

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jp323i said:
Brakes are considered a wear & tear item, they won't be replaced under warranty unless defective (ie very few miles & they're already gone).

Im sorry i didnt get that... Im due or my 11000 mile service, so is that the free full maintanence ?? I know you cant just take them in every few thousand miles but they should be by now right ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey 310 since your car looks really low i would be carefull of your car, i know that dealerships hate cars that are fixed up..be carefull and also on your brakes, its not covered so your best luck is to take it to a independent shop that works on bimmers, european cars. but shop around.. my buddy shoped around cause he went to some places and they tried to sell him other stuff and also did crappy jobs but he went to some place in your area. i don't know the name but i heard they do a great job.
my 2 cents

·
Go Lakers!!!
2,525 Posts
jp323i said:

Hey B,

My friend Carlo (Topaz Blue 330ci that came to In&Out w/us) has had his brake pads replaced (twice) for free AS WELL AS the rotors!!

But knowing BMW, they will probably say that the noises are the cause of the mods you've done!

·
Resident CF Whore
2,780 Posts
Well.. it wasn't for a checkup.
It was actually for coilover install.
I still haven't gotten it on yet, but I'm not going there for it done.
Going to an alignment store since I can get the install and alignment done there at the same time.
If they wanna charge me for the bumper, I'll just take off and put on the bumper myself.

As for checking for free...
I don't know.
BMW Seattle made me pay for 1.5 hours labor when my battery died.
They said it was my aftermarket alarm and sound system that drained it, but they didn't tell me where in the wiring the problem was, nor did they fix it. Therefore, I couldn't get the problem fixed. I don't think they should charge you if they've done nothing to remedy the problem...

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so not to sound stupid but im gettin different answers on this... Are the breaks and rotors covered or not ??? For the people that have gotten them replaced was it done as a favor or was it actually covered... And again thanks for the help fellas... :thumbup:

·
Bahn Burnah
2,360 Posts
-The loaner car should be free of charge. Hopefully you have some good guys at the service dept. who take of you.
- sounds like the same noise I hear with mine, but only somtimes.
- I had brake work done at 4K miles, and also at 17k miles, no charge both times. The 2nd time, they also replaced my control arm bushings, no charge.
- if they are using the right lifts, from directly underneath your car, it should never even touch your bumper

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blackstunna said:
310 brakes aren't covered unless there defective
Will are brakes that are completely gone at 11000 miles considered defective ?? the light came on and everything...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
310 Ryda said:

Im sorry i didnt get that... Im due or my 11000 mile service, so is that the free full maintanence ?? I know you cant just take them in every few thousand miles but they should be by now right ??
03 models have 4 yrs/48K miles free full maintainence, so yes, you're definitely covered. If the lights came on, that means the brakes are worn out. The lights indicate it has exceeded BMW's specification for brake wear. It will be covered under free full maintainence.

·
Registered
90 Posts
will if could mean that your pads are out, on your rotors thats something they can look at when they take the wheels off. for your service, take it to them but like someone said since you fix up your car they'll blame any defective parts on that. gte your serivce done with them and get your brakes fixed somewhere else

·
Registered
90 Posts
does it matter where you got your car from? i got mine from long beach and my brakes weren't covered and i know some friends that even have brand new benz's and their brakes aren't even covered?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts