E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm about to roll my rear fenders, but to my understanding I have to remove the "gunk" (sealant) filled in the rear fenders.

Tryed to peel this s**t out, but its a pain in the ass!

Anyone have any tips on how to remove this? A magic tool or something...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,660 Posts
You'll add something to keep that valley from rusting somehow first, right? As it is now, you can clean off that lip and minimize rusting. If you fold it up, you'll create a 'cup' for water/salt/etc to seep into and have no real way to clean it out too well, especially if you're doing this coz you're going hella flush.

I'd spray some undercoating in there before folding it up I think.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is what I used but it is still a pain even with a dremel. I ended up grinding off the fender inner lip and sealing the bare metal because even rolling the fenders did not stop my rubbing.
i rolled my fenders, but i'm still rubbing, what sealant did u use? To clarify, u used a dremmel but was a pain. What tool did u use to grind off the fender? Has anyone shaved off their wheels to clear the fender, that is to creat a higher offset?

·
Banned
7,267 Posts
i rolled my fenders, but i'm still rubbing, what sealant did u use? To clarify, u used a dremmel but was a pain. What tool did u use to grind off the fender? Has anyone shaved off their wheels to clear the fender, that is to creat a higher offset?
How does one go about shaving off wheels? You must mean the center hub.

What offset/width are the ones you have now that you still rub?

·
Registered
99 Posts
How does one go about shaving off wheels? You must mean the center hub.

What offset/width are the ones you have now that you still rub?
sorry, yes the center hub I meant
Offset 40
MMR GT7 wheels
Continental DW 235-35-19 F and 265-30-19 R

My next move is the shave the center wheel hub about 4mm vs grinding the fenders. I don't want to change the camber

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,660 Posts
Offset 40
MMR GT7 wheels

My next move is the shave the center wheel hub about 4mm vs grinding the fenders. I don't want to change the camber
Oh noes...not this again.

Find the thread recently I posted in...search dmax and "measure spare 5 mm" and I think it will come up. I feel like I might have saved someone's life in that thread. Maybe yours too!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You can take your car to a car wash and use the high pressure wands to knock it off. I did this one day by accident, didn't know what the stuff was so I just kept washing it, thinking it was road tar.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

·
Banned
7,267 Posts
Offset 40
MMR GT7 wheels

I have to agree with Doug, this is not a good idea. But then again neither is too much camber.

Where do you rub, and what are your rim widths? I'm curious because my coilovers are going in next week.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh noes...not this again.

Find the thread recently I posted in...search dmax and "measure spare 5 mm" and I think it will come up. I feel like I might have saved someone's life in that thread. Maybe yours too!
Dmax thanks, i didn't have to read the whole thread, i am no engineer, thanks for saving my life bro

rim widths 8.5F 9.5R

i rub on the sidewall, right at the corner of the tire

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just cleared out my lip today, was a PITA!

The wire wheel takes a while and is messy, i found it easier to run a knife in 3 places... right against the lip, as close as possible to the inside of the body work and right in the middle.
Essentially giving u two strips of the sealant, then took a wood chisel and by hand levering it out. Be careful not to put a kink in the arch/lip... if u cut it deep enough it comes out easy.

Start pulling it and move the chisel where its still stuck levering it a bit at a time... and keep moving.

Then clean it up with a wire wheel, use a small mirror to inspect the inside of the lip, makes it easier.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.