E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2000 323ci w/ sport package and 29K miles for 19.5 Dec 31st of last year. It was a great deal to me. I had a friend telling me that rather than spending the couple extra grand on a 328 I could instead spend that money on upgrading the 323 (since there's only minimal HP difference). When I went to the local dealer for my first service last week the serviceman said I'd be wasting my money upgrading the car w/ CAI's, suspension bars, exhaust, etc and should instead sell the car and get a 328. Is he being a snob or will modding my car slowly over the next few years really be useless?

Mark

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,365 Posts
Like a 325, a 323 will never be a speed machine with bolt-on mods. It will def sound/handle better than when you got it if you do mod; but the only real way to get power out of our engines is to supercharge.

·
Registered
686 Posts
don't worry about it. Granted a S/C is most likely the way to go...modding is just fun. I haven't done anything yet cause i just picked up my car a few days ago but I'm damn excited to mod my car. Its your car and its an extension of you, so do what u want and appreciate it

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Only way to make a 323 really fast is with a super charger.

But... if you have stick, there are things you can do to make the car faster without spending crazy amounts of money. Intake, software and 3.46 differential. Those will give you the most gains for about 1k. After those mods, probably go with pulleys and exhaust.

Just enjoy your car :thumbup:

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,290 Posts
Most SA's, techs, and salesmen at BMW dealerships know nothing beyond the basic company literature that they are forced to read. Occasionally you'll run into one that's an enthusiast and actually knows his stuff, but honestly, that's quite rare. I honestly know more about my car than any single individual at the local BMW dealership, so I don't waste my time with those fools anymore.

Your SA is not thinking logically. In an ideal world, yes, you'd be better off getting a 328. However, considering the costs involved (incl. depreciation) in selling/trading your car and so on, you'd be looking at spending another 3k-5k just to jump into a STOCK 328...and in reality, the 328 is really not that impressive, at least in stock form. It runs about a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile, which is roughly a half second faster than a 323. Handling wise, they are identical, with a slight edge to the 323 because it weighs less. You could easily reach that level with $1500 or less in bolt ons, which is less than a the purchase price of a used 328 over a used 323, and far less than the difference between the two cars when they were new. And a 6k supercharger will put your car somewhat close to M3 territory as far as the straights go.

Considering the loss you'd probably take on selling your car (trade in on a good condition 2000 323 is around 17-18k at the very best...and probably closer to 16), you've made your decision and you have to stick with it. That said, forget engine bolt ons for now, and concentrate on handling first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
No flame here! If you just wanna be fast, go get a Honda Civic and mod it like a super machine!

You should be pround of your BMW, and just enjoy whatever it brings to you. 15 sec at 1/4 mile or 8 sec at 100km/hr, who cares? At least I don't!

Mod is just like a hobby instead of a must to push your car toward its limit. I enjoy modding and I earn satisfation during the mod - looking for parts, bargaining the price, installation process.... This is how I look at the mod of my car! IMO!

·
Registered
39 Posts
well, if you get a better deal on the 328 then that would be the better car to mod. because if you begin to mod your 323, like you heard, it won't make much difference if you wanted to race or just see how fast she goes... so my advice to you is, that if you could get the 328, do so... but other than that, you can go ahead and mod your 323...she'll still be a sweet ride...good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
markjrubin said:
I bought a 2000 323ci w/ sport package and 29K miles for 19.5 Dec 31st of last year. It was a great deal to me. I had a friend telling me that rather than spending the couple extra grand on a 328 I could instead spend that money on upgrading the 323 (since there's only minimal HP difference). When I went to the local dealer for my first service last week the serviceman said I'd be wasting my money upgrading the car w/ CAI's, suspension bars, exhaust, etc and should instead sell the car and get a 328. Is he being a snob or will modding my car slowly over the next few years really be useless?

Mark
I used to have a 323i AUTO before I went up to the 330i ZHP and I can tell you.. You'll need mad money to make it noticably faster than the next 323, but like others have said. If it's stick, you are better off and just do some simple things like shark with intake and exhaust and then go to external mods.. you'll be happy.. just watch out for those 330's popping up in your mirrors.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
My 323Ci eats 328's alive, and has steptronic 330's for dessert. I keep up with stock 5-speed 330's without a lot of trouble. See my signature for the mods I have installed. If your 323 is an automatic, then things are a lot different - those cars are doomed to be at the bottom of the speed heap unless you supercharge.

The thing is, no matter what you have, something is always faster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
actually i heard a 300 dolla shark gives you 15hp or so.. But exhaust, shark, cai, pulleys will give you more power then a 328 stock. But a 323 with those mods lOLLLLL will not keep up with a 330. A 330 can do stock 0-60 in 5.8 seconds no way you are going to get your times down 1.3 seconds with those mods.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
iluvbimmers said:
But a 323 with those mods lOLLLLL will not keep up with a 330.
Tell that to the 330's I've owned. My 323 when it was STOCK would run 6.8s to 60 consistently - and sometime a wee bit faster. I haven't timed it with all the mods but I have ran against a few stock 330's - I KILL step 330's and run nose-to-nose with 5-speeds. A ZHP, however, would outrun me, no trouble.

edit - ZHP will do 0-60 in 5.8. A stock 5-speed 330 typically runs about 6.3-6.4 to 60 from what I have seen...

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,290 Posts
iluvbimmers said:
actually i heard a 300 dolla shark gives you 15hp or so.. But exhaust, shark, cai, pulleys will give you more power then a 328 stock. But a 323 with those mods lOLLLLL will not keep up with a 330. A 330 can do stock 0-60 in 5.8 seconds no way you are going to get your times down 1.3 seconds with those mods.
A 330 does not do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds consistently (especially on a hot day), nor can most drivers even attain that result. There are a couple 323 drivers that have been timed at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and 15 seconds flat in the 1/4, stock. But can a typical 323 with typical driver realistically expect to attain those numbers? Absolutely not.

Just look at the power to weight ratios (using rwhp dyno results). THOSE numbers don't lie.

You people and your silly mag racing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
akhbhaat said:
A 330 does not do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds consistently (especially on a hot day), nor can most drivers even attain that result. There are a couple 323 drivers that have been timed at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and 15 seconds flat in the 1/4, stock. But can a typical 323 with typical driver realistically expect to attain those numbers? Absolutely not.

Just look at the power to weight ratios (using rwhp dyno results). THOSE numbers don't lie.

You people and your silly mag racing.
:werd: i totally agree ive seen it in a magazine, but thats not the point that means the car has possibility to hit those times..maybe not by us normal drivers but its possible

·
Are we there yet??
5,657 Posts
Dont feel bad about your purchase at all, I could have gotten the 328 when I bought my 323 but truly didnt see much difference except price, it is BARELY faster, handling is the same (323 may have EVER so slight and advantage due to weight but not much) and I liked the black trim better then chrome anyway. If you are talking 325 and 330 there is definetly a much bigger difference and I would have gone for the 330 at the time. Remember a 323 is a 2.5 and the 328 is a 2.8 not a large difference in displacement. Also i have see many 323/325 stock dynos on this board and they are DAMM close the the 328 dynos. With just an intake and a chip you should beat a 328 and still save money, through an exhaust in and you should take it even easier.

Mind you this is all with a stick if you have the auto your doomed sorry lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
markjrubin said:
Good thread so far. I do have stick. I'm looking to have a bit more power and handling in day to day driving and the occasional autocross.
Slow323 knows his stuff, a stick 323 more than any 3 series, gets the most out of mods anyhow, it's so detuned.. You actually 'get' noticable improvements in hp and torque with bolt-ons. A diff change, software/intake/exhaust, toss in a pulley kit.. Yes, you 'can' ride with stock 330's. But hey it's only 20-30hp, the weight difference is the real bonus for you.

Anything you do 'will' make it somewhat faster than it already is, so don't listen to the idiot at the dealership..

·
Are we there yet??
5,657 Posts
Section_8 said:
Slow323 knows his stuff, a stick 323 more than any 3 series, gets the most out of mods anyhow, it's so detuned.. You actually 'get' noticable improvements in hp and torque with bolt-ons. A diff change, software/intake/exhaust, toss in a pulley kit.. Yes, you 'can' ride with stock 330's. But hey it's only 20-30hp, the weight difference is the real bonus for you.

Anything you do 'will' make it somewhat faster than it already is, so don't listen to the idiot at the dealership..
Exactly what I forgot to say, the 323 is probably the most tunable of all the engines since its had the least done to it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.