BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before buying some new tires I tried searching on e46fans for any e46 guys reviews on Federal 595 tires, I didn't really find anything too relevant with a good review, so I made this thread to give a review to the best of my abilities.

The reasons why i bought the 595s are because I've heard good reviews about them from my friends and for their price I couldn't really pass them up. I also wasn't planning on babying these tires, so i was looking for something cheap that works for what i planned to use the tires for.

My initial thoughts on these tires were that they felt good on the freeway bumps, better then the 2 OEM continental spares i was driving on the way to the tire shop. They also grip really well in the dry. They grip good enough to not chirp the tires in a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. The night i got them mounted it poured rain. To my surprise, they gripped in the rain. They gripped A LOT better in the rain compared to the 2 spares I was running the night before (also in the rain). They also smoke A LOT when your ripping them up.

So without dragging this on with irrelevant information, my overall review for these tires was great! I was really surprised at the overall performance of these tires for the price. I wasn't really expecting much from these tires. For my purposes of mainly drifting, canyoning, and just beating the hell out of the tires these work great. I'm not expecting them to last more then 6 months of hard driving.

For the majority of e46fanatics i would NOT recommend these tires as I'm really doubtful they will last. I know most of you guys are looking for something that will last about 2-3 years and these are not those kinds of tires. BUT if you are looking for something cheap for a couple of months or your just wanting to go do a lot of drifting or burning out these tires will do you just fine.

*just for reference the tires i bought were 225/45/17 (7.5" wide rim) and they were placed in the rear. Also the spares i used were oem continental spares also 225/45/17 on a 7.5" wide rim.

I hope that helps,

-raj

·
Registered
683 Posts
i had Federal 595's 225/18 and 235/18 fr & rear ...for the 5 months or so that i had them was really pleased with the tires. We get the occasional storm in Perth and i've driven the car relatively fast without breaking traction. Was fantastic on dry road, better that the toyo proxes and bridgestone potenza i had before. only real complaint is that u get slightly more road noise...but nothing which isnt bearable or audible over the stereo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice that was a good thread thanks for the info.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IM GOING TO HAVE TO COMPLETELY DISAGREE...

I had a set of federals on my 330ci and they were absolute junk. I have replaced 3 of them for the same fault... tread separates at sidewall... also resulted in two bent rims.... 225-40-18 and 245-40-18

THESE THINGS ARE JUNK!

tire flexes and looses grip way too much during cornering!!! I drive pretty agressively especially high speeds and cornering. The only good thing about them is tread wear and low noise... but i remind you that i have had 3 blowouts at highway speed in the past year. Im going back to my old bfg ta kdws that i loved. no treadlife but excellent handeling and no sidewall failure issues

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR -- hence $100 18" tires suck!!!!

DO NOT BUY

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
i have em and theyve been great. quiet and they have good performance in dry and wet conditions

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Im thinking about learning how to track on these tires. Want something simple and CHEAP to just get on the track and learn my car. Any opinions? I was looking at running 245/40/17 all around and then getting r comps or better tires after i wear them out. Please chime in guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I've gone through 3 sets of these. They aren't the choice for the everyday driver... Federal supposedly updated the tire within the last year (the name changed from ss595 to SS595), not sure exactly what was done, but all of my sets were the "newer" model.

I run them at 40psi cold, and the only complaint I have is that if you're turning in at high speed, you can feel the sidewall roll over a little when you start to rotate, but it doesn't give. Once you learn the limit of the tire it's pretty predictable. I actually found that road noise was a bit high as well. Lateral grip is very good, and drifting transitions are smooth.

Before I started running these I was an avid Hankook V12 evo fan, but I've found the Federal's to perform just as good if not a little better when it's wet, and much cheaper. Don't confuse this tire for an extreme perf. tire like the nt05 or *spec, it's not... but you can't beat it for the $ IMO.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Cool David. I'm pretty much just looking for a tire to handle along the lines of OEM tires. Don't need the extra grip gotten from nittos or star specs... just a tire that will perform well enough to push the car and not be compromising feel/experience. :dunno: :stoned:

- they dont carry them on tire rack either ... :eek: ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've gone through 3 sets of these. They aren't the choice for the everyday driver... Federal supposedly updated the tire within the last year (the name changed from ss595 to SS595), not sure exactly what was done, but all of my sets were the "newer" model.

I run them at 40psi cold, and the only complaint I have is that if you're turning in at high speed, you can feel the sidewall roll over a little when you start to rotate, but it doesn't give. Once you learn the limit of the tire it's pretty predictable. I actually found that road noise was a bit high as well. Lateral grip is very good, and drifting transitions are smooth.

Before I started running these I was an avid Hankook V12 evo fan, but I've found the Federal's to perform just as good if not a little better when it's wet, and much cheaper. Don't confuse this tire for an extreme perf. tire like the nt05 or *spec, it's not... but you can't beat it for the $ IMO.
Yup, that is my experience with them, the sidewall seems a bit soft but still holds the ground without going into a spin. They are also sticky. some buds with Z cars have them and they still decent on wear.

Its a step above the other chinese tires that's for sure. wanli etc...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts