E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! :banghead:

I bought a Groton axle for my 2001 330xi. The old axle popped out just as the youtube video showed. Figured I was home free - NNNNNOOOOOOOOO. I changed the little clip to the original and slid the new axle in. It stopped with about 1 1/2 inches to go. Tried everything I could think of but it wouldn't go in any further.

I pulled it back out for comparison, The old axle had a rounded shoulder in the front. I put the old back in to make sure I was doing things right. Went right in, a quick smack and home free on the old.

Ok pulled it back out and rounded the shoulders on the new Groton. Took off the clip completely just to be sure and slid the new in. Stopped - 5 or 6 smacks and it did not move. Pulled it back out. Old back in this time some resistance so I'm assuming that the new Groton must have dug into something but a couple of hits and it was in again. I used a micrometer and can't find anything obvious wrong sized.

Anyone have any ideas?
Should I dump the Groton and get something else?
Is there some secret to getting the new axle in?

Thank you

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would find a high quality drive axle shop and have your original factory part completely rebuilt. A quality rebuild will be way better than FCP crap and it will have all the proper fit too.

On my E46 rebuild I had the 330 axles rebuilt by a local guy here in Dallas that specializes in CV and other type axle rebuilds. They came back just like new (new oversize balls, fresh hone on the CV joint and complete fresh boot kit). Well worth the $225 to get them done that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.