E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FCPEuro with their “OE Supplier” brand is pretty sad. Does not state country of origin, so very likely it is china. They did this in the past with a brand called “OEM” which got called out by forum members and removed. This is quite the sham.

Here is a search result for “OE Supplier”.

For example, this CCV kit has three parts labelled “OE Supplier” brand.
Who makes them?
Which country are they made in?
What is the expected quality?

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Browsing through various parts it seems they are increasingly selling china made stuff. Most of the Meyle brand parts are chinese.

· Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
1,235 Posts
the real question is: there are any brand/good/item that STILL is not producted in china?
my concern isn't "where" they product things, but the standard of quality they respect.

I changed less than some months ago these parts with BMW ones and the cost was waaaay more expensive.

It surely won't be same quality but for some money-looking buyers it may be a fair alternative.
China is not necessarly synonymous of poor quality. In the same country (and, maybe, in the same manufactory plant....) is assembled iphone and the cheaper and ugliest smartphone, for example: obviously I would wait for someone to act as a guinea pig or someone who isn't anal about 100% performance parts 😅 😂

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the real question is: there are any brand/good/item that STILL is not producted in china?
my concern isn't "where" they product things, but the standard of quality they respect.
There are still plenty of quality E46 parts made in Europe.
I will not buy or install ANY critical china made parts.

· Registered
877 Posts
Unfortunately we're all seeing this more and more and it's misleading. It may be a German company but the part is made in China. The vendor should be responsible for putting the country of origin for the particular item.

I recently purchased a steel oil pan kit for my Mark VII Volkswagen from ECS Tuning. The kit came with fasteners and a couple other parts. The online catalog stated "Assembled by ECS Tuning". I was fairly certain what that meant.

When I received the "kit" the oil drain plug was screwed way too tight into the pan bung. When I removed it the threads were awful, very poorly machined and difficult to screw the plug back in. No way I was going to use that on my car. The pan was made in China. I returned it and stated I did not want an exchange I wanted a refund.

Last year I replaced the engine mounts on my E46. The first ones I ordered said "OEM" brand, can't remember the actual brand. When they arrived they were from China. I returned them.

I ordered a second set from Pelican and the parts guy on the phone said he was certain they were made in Europe (Febi/Bilstein). When they arrived they were made in China. They threads on one were screwed up but I didn't feel like sending back another set only to receive a third set from China.

I carefully cleaned up the threads so it would take a fastener. I hope they hold up...

· Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
1,235 Posts
There are still plenty of quality E46 parts made in Europe.
I will not buy or install ANY critical china made parts.
Most of these parts I'm not sure are still/completely made there. Most of the times they are "finished" or "controlled" or "assembled" here...
I'm italian, you know :) and in the shoes district.
In many big brands the "made in italy" mark is in shoes prepared in china, sewed here by chinese guys (there or here...working in conditions similar or worse in china), then packaged in italian factories.

...and not necessarly are of poorer quality of an italian-only made one. What makes the difference are commercial agreements about quality standards to keep. And, obviously, the final price.

I won't be surprised if it'll happens in other fields of goods.

· Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
1,117 Posts
i had given. up tracking down where these parts come from- ive seen Made in China and Made in Turkey from my FCP orders-i expect them not to last and if i need to replace any of them its going back to FCP.
the best way to get quality is GO BMW Branded parts-...technically you only pay for it once from FCP anyway...

· Registered
2004 330ci
39 Posts
Most of these parts I'm not sure are still/completely made there. Most of the times they are "finished" or "controlled" or "assembled" here...
I'm italian, you know :) and in the shoes district.
In many big brands the "made in italy" mark is in shoes prepared in china, sewed here by chinese guys (there or here...working in conditions similar or worse in china), then packaged in italian factories.

...and not necessarly are of poorer quality of an italian-only made one. What makes the difference are commercial agreements about quality standards to keep. And, obviously, the final price.

I won't be surprised if it'll happens in other fields of goods.
I am the reason this thread is here lol, I purchased a KIT from FCPEuro (11617501566KT1) and it claims OE Supplier - no markings on it, 1 Piece in German spelt wrong (1 Stuck spelt in plain english...). I am in contact with FCP Euro trying to exchange to the Genuine - but honestly looks the exact same with the same markings - I am worried that if I do that this exchange that it'll be literally the same part.....

· Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
1,117 Posts
I am the reason this thread is here lol, I purchased a KIT from FCPEuro (11617501566KT1) and it claims OE Supplier - no markings on it, 1 Piece in German spelt wrong (1 Stuck spelt in plain english...). I am in contact with FCP Euro trying to exchange to the Genuine - but honestly looks the exact same with the same markings - I am worried that if I do that this exchange that it'll be literally the same part.....
you are paying for piece of mind buying Genuine

· Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,702 Posts
Same part on FCPEuro website.
And their OE Lemforder also says made in China.

I don't have any specific problem with Chinese products, my iPhone and macbook is built well, as is my Logitech mouse. I expect these mounts to be as good quality as the original mounts which were in my E46. But cheap Chinese parts, without the vigorous quality control that comes from a well established company like Sachs or Lemforder, should be avoided.

· Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
1,235 Posts
I don't have any specific problem with Chinese products, my iPhone and macbook is built well, as is my Logitech mouse. I expect these mounts to be as good quality as the original mounts which were in my E46. But cheap Chinese parts, without the vigorous quality control that comes from a well established company like Sachs or Lemforder, should be avoided.
this! :D

· Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Ask the poor kids who're locked into Foxconn factories how THEY feel about it...

If we're unable to find these parts from reputable manufacturers,
BMW will be unable to as well. So expect the baggies
to start saying Genuine BMW China on them pretty soon.
"BMW Classic's" version of quality control was to put the part in
a baggie and put a sticker on it. I don't know if it's improved much since then...

t
From firsthand experience with the 2002, E21 and E30.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts