E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 325i / 131,000 KM / 100% stock, original or OEM suspension

Car was purchased used in December with some work being done prior to the sale, including FCAB replacement. I am not sure what brand was used, and no other work was done to the suspension at all. There are no indications of a failing suspension such as uneven or incorrect tire wear, pulling, etc.

Over the past month or two I can feel what seems to be a slight looseness in the steering in certain situations, but mainly when turning over an uneven surface such as the curb into a driveway. When this happens there is a slight jerk in the wheel, more than what would normally be expected. It also feels as if there is a slight tug in the wheel during harder braking.

This AM I asked my wife to drive forward/backward and brake so I could look for movement in the wheels, and I can see some. It is not major, but it is visible in both sides.

My question:
Since the FCAB's are new, would the potential culprit be the ball joint in the arm, or maybe the FCAB's are not quality and have failed?
Given that it seems the suspension (aside from the FCAB's) seems original, would the best and ultimate easiest thing to do be to replace the arms and FCAB's with something like this:

http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehic...eering&subcatid=Front Control Arm Set&mode=PA

Thank you for any input,
Scott

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Yes. Meyle HD arms and bushings are the perfect choice. Worn struts/shocks can also cause uneasiness. Basically anything worn out in front can even down to the tires. If the CABs were installed improperly, they could fail prematurely. You'd get brake shimmy though if your CABs are failed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mango, much appreciated. I've not yet had the chance to get under the car and do more investigation either, so I do not yet have all the facts.
I do suspect that at least one of the struts may be leaking, but discounted this as the problem described here is more recent.
I'll have a look this weekend if I have the time.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.