BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't take my freaking lug bolts off!!! i think the tire shop put them on far too tight.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to loosen them???

thanks - ryan

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i suppose, but what if i get a flat tire or something...that stuff is on there pretty tight.

i'm officially nominating myself 'king of stupid questions' :banghead:

·
Owner
4,045 Posts
lyon123 said:
i can't take my freaking lug bolts off!!! i think the tire shop put them on far too tight.

thanks - ryan
Well, I assume you don't want to take your car into a shop again. I have 2 suggestions:

1. Get a longer wrench. The longer the wrench, the more torque you can exert on the lug to loosen it.

2. Put on your stock wrench and step on it. I had to do this once to fix a flat on my old Accord. It was late at night, I was on the side of the freeway in the dark. Damn bolts were on too tight. Had no choice but to stand on top of the wrench handle and just use my body weight to loosen the nut.

·
Owner
4,045 Posts
RE:

Oh yeah, one more thing. Next time you tighten the nuts, use a torque wrench and tighten them to the correct torque specification (which i dont' know off hand. you should ask someone here, perhaps Eddie how much ft/lbs of torque to tighten to). That way, you can remove the nuts easily. Good luck!

-Joe

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
make sure to protect ur rims when the wrench flys off. It'll swing around and hit ur rims!

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
another thing (a northeast thing) is put a touch of antisieze compound on the bolts and hub (where the wheel contacts the hub) when putting them back on. I had a wheel stuck on the car so had i had to pry it off with a large 2x4 and took about 45 minutes..LOL.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
RichP said:
another thing (a northeast thing) is put a touch of antisieze compound on the bolts and hub (where the wheel contacts the hub) when putting them back on. I had a wheel stuck on the car so had i had to pry it off with a large 2x4 and took about 45 minutes..LOL.

i thought they don't recommend puttin any kind of lubricant on the bolts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get a 2 ft length of pipe, slip it over the lug wrench, and use the concept of mechanical advantage, otherwise known as leverage. Jumping on the wrench may hurt you, or worse, your car, when it slips off the lug bolt.

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for everyone's help!

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*** :flipoff:

edit - i didnt' know words were asteriked automatically.....ghey was the word i was trying to use. :tongue:

·
Registered
407 Posts
lyon123 said:

thanks - ryan
uh oh, the tire shop prolly used a power wrench to tighten the bolts, which they arent suppose to. ALWAYS use a torque wrench to tighten wheel bolts, NEVER use a power wrench

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: far from weak, but...

tribal azn said:

uh oh, the tire shop prolly used a power wrench to tighten the bolts, which they arent suppose to. ALWAYS use a torque wrench to tighten wheel bolts, NEVER use a power wrench
what? they're NOT supposed to!?!!? those bastards!!:mad:

·
Slow in, slower out
4,652 Posts
02black330i said:

i thought they don't recommend puttin any kind of lubricant on the bolts?
Never put any sort of lubricant on the lug bolt threads or the threads in the hub. Definitely put a LIGHT coat of anti-seize on the hub face and the hub center to keep the wheel from sticking to the hub. It helps if you wire brush any surface corrosion of the hub first:

Then apply a thin layer of anti-seize to the hub face and center:

Use the minimum amount necessary to coat the surface. Do not dump huge amounts onto the hub:

Ed

·
Slow in, slower out
4,652 Posts
Oh, yeah... To get that stubbor wheel off, buy/borrow/steal a breaker bar and a 17mm 6 point socket. Find a short extension too if you can.

An 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar will make short work of most lugs. If they still won't budge, put a pipe or piece of tubing ofer the breaker bar to increase your leverage.

Ed

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,962 Posts
if you go to a tire shop

i had mcguard locks on my old vette. and by accident changing the wheel for something the place strip the lock on tire. they had a tool that went into the air devise and they got lock off of tire with mcguard locks on the wheel that should tell you something

let me say this happen not the same day. i was puting snow tires on the back of the vette before winter after winter i want back to the same place thats when i found out that the lock was strip.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
362 Posts
Just take it back to the idiots that set the air wrench to 150lbs and have them loosen them and then retorque correctly, with an torque wrench.

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so does anyone know the proper torque the wheel bolts should be tightened on?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts