BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicles clutch has finally begun to slip and it appears that replacement is imminent. However, there is something odd about the symptoms. My car will operate normally with no slippage on cold days until I've put about 30 miles on the vehicle. Everything I've read seems to state that a failing clutch will behave worse in cold weather. If this is true, what is going on with mine? I've also noticed that on rainy days the slippage is minimized or almost non existent.

I posted about this more broadly before, but never got a response specific to the temperate and humidity impact and am hoping to better understand my problem.

Also, is it safe to replace the transmission fluid when replacing the clutch? My dealer flat out refused to do it because I declined to have the clutch done there.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If it***8217;s slipping you***8217;re due for a new clutch.

You don***8217;t say how many miles you have...if you have 80k, I would be asking a lot of questions. If you have 150k or more, I wouldn***8217;t be asking any questions.

No problem changing your manual transmission fluid when you do the clutch. They are separated.

Depending on mileage you should be able to re-use your dual mass flywheel, assuming this is the car***8217;s first clutch replacement. You can typically re-use the DMF once.

You might also consider a clutch delay valve CDV delete...read up on it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already bought the clutch and intend on doing it, but I am a curious guy and want to understand why what I am seeing online and what I am experiencing don't quite line up.

I am well beyond 150k. I plan on replacing the clutch. pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, and release bearing. I will also have the oil pan gasket and the guibo swapped out while they're in there.

Do I risk damaging my manual transmission by changing my fluid? I (possibly foolishly) respected BMWs claims of "lifetime fluid" and have not changed it since inheriting the car from my uncle.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You don***8217;t risk damaging your manual trans by changing fluid. It***8217;s a simple drain and fill. You don***8217;t have the risk of fluid changes in the msnual trans that you do with an auto trans..

And the risks of damage in an auto trans are often overstated in my view..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't risk damaging your manual trans by changing fluid. It's a simple drain and fill. You don't have the risk of fluid changes in the msnual trans that you do with an auto trans..

And the risks of damage in an auto trans are often overstated in my view..
Thank you for confirming. That was what I suspected and I am realizing now that my dealer service advisor is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, which I also suspected.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You realize BMW nowhere mentions specifically what they consider a lifetime? Tranny fails at 170k, well, that's it's lifetime.
In short, change the fluid (especially the auto owners). NO lubricant lasts forever.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You realize BMW nowhere mentions specifically what they consider a lifetime? Tranny fails at 170k, well, that's it's lifetime.
In short, change the fluid (especially the auto owners). NO lubricant lasts forever.
You are absolutely right, especially now with more environmentally friendly fluids being spec'ed. I actually just realized that I had my indy shop replace the transmission/ transaxle fluid 20,000 miles ago. I made the mistake of searching my maintenance log for the full word "transmission." :banghead:

So now I can confirm that there were no negative effects of replacing my fluid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know why the clutch would perform normally in cold or rainy weather, but slip in warm and dry weather?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Nope.

But take it out COLD and really romp on it,
and if it doesn't slip,

you might have a hydraulic problem instead.

Stupid unlikely, but as the brake fluid in the clutch system
expands, AND if the 'breather' port in the master cylinder is
plugged or closed for whatever reason, it'll put enough pressure
on the slave to make the clutch slip.
If you get it slipping, leave it running, jack it up SAFELY and
open the bleeder. If this is happening, a little bit of fluid will squirt out.
The clutch should then not slip until it pumps up again.
Happened on a truck I once owned- was a booger to diagnose.

Also, the Self Misadjusting CLutch does all sorts of weird things
as the clutch reaches the end of its life...

2 answers which may or may not apply in your case,

t

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope.

But take it out COLD and really romp on it,
and if it doesn't slip,

you might have a hydraulic problem instead.

Stupid unlikely, but as the brake fluid in the clutch system
expands, AND if the 'breather' port in the master cylinder is
plugged or closed for whatever reason, it'll put enough pressure
on the slave to make the clutch slip.
If you get it slipping, leave it running, jack it up SAFELY and
open the bleeder. If this is happening, a little bit of fluid will squirt out.
The clutch should then not slip until it pumps up again.
Happened on a truck I once owned- was a booger to diagnose.

Also, the Self Misadjusting CLutch does all sorts of weird things
as the clutch reaches the end of its life...

2 answers which may or may not apply in your case,

t
That makes a lot of sense. I was also thinking it could be a fluid related issue and your explanation makes a whole lot of sense. I wish I had a place to try exactly what you described. I've decided it is time to overhaul the entire clutch system and already contacted the shop and ordered parts. I just hope I can wait another 40 days or so to when I won't need the car for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If you're gentle with it, and don't EVER let it slip when it's doing that, it should.

We got better than a month out of ours, and weren't very gentle to it, as I had a
hard time believing that it was slipping 'sometimes'. But it was.

Ours also showed evidence that the throwout bearing was contacting the pressure plate for quite a while-
I could feel it in the pedal as a vibration. Original clutch, with a LOT of wear on the fingers and throwout bearing.

The only place I'd seen that before was with mismatched aftermarket parts...

You'll make it!

t

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're gentle with it, and don't EVER let it slip when it's doing that, it should.

We got better than a month out of ours, and weren't very gentle to it, as I had a
hard time believing that it was slipping 'sometimes'. But it was.

Ours also showed evidence that the throwout bearing was contacting the pressure plate for quite a while-
I could feel it in the pedal as a vibration. Original clutch, with a LOT of wear on the fingers and throwout bearing.

The only place I'd seen that before was with mismatched aftermarket parts...

You'll make it!

t

Thanks Toby. That is reassuring and I sure hope so. I don't drive the car that often, but I do have to head upstate this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts