BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved literally 20 minutes away from the DE/ MD state line and have to register my car in MD so I took it to an inspection station (it's actually a shop licensed by the MVA that does such inspection).

Result: Failed due to a leaking steering rack and front pads and rotors being at discard point.

History:

Steering: It's true, I have a MINIMAL leak down there, don't know from where exactly but I'm sure the steering rack is not toast, the car turns as it should, no odd noises, etc.

Brakes: Changed all pads (Textar) and rotors (Zimmerman), all from Bimmezone, 35k miles ago. The car is my daily, never race it, never track, lots of highway.

Thoughts? Anyone with experience in MD?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
MD Inspection is only a one time deal. They kind of expect the car to be as new.

I have family in MD and when they decide to get rid of cars, I bring them over to VA and have the Emission and Safety Inspection performed and only sell in VA.

I would check on the brakes and see if this in fact correct. My guess is the front pads may be close, I doubt the rotors are past the discard point. Suggest you inspect these yourself and replace the pads if this is what is needed to get through inspection.

As for the steering rack leak, a few cans of Brake Cleaner and get everything cleaned up. My guess is the problem is more likely swollen and seeping power steering lines along with a leaking OFHG.

I would then take the car to a different shop if this place will not pass the brakes and steering.

Again, MD only inspects the vehicles when you buy them or move in to register in the state. Once inspected, except of Emissions in some parts of the state, no more inspections until you sell the car to someone else in MD.

Good luck, I hate dealing with MD Safety Inspection. Most of the stations are just trying to fleece the customers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Concur with above. Clean it up, fix brakes and try another shop. Don't bother trying to bribe them. State will take their license over it. Not worth it to them. Best bet is to find a really busy incompetent and lazy shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I'll go that way, pads may be due for a change (no warning light though) but rotors I don't think so. Car stops straight in a penny without any noise or vibration.

If someone in the Baltimore/ DC/ Philly area has experience, place, tools, time and is willing to do the job I think I'll cut the problem from root and get a rack from rack doctor, new steering lines and pads.

I can pay for the labor in cash or beer, whichever you prefer! I can also help if any coding to your car is needed, I have both P.A. and NCS and I'm pretty proficient with both.+

jfoj: Didn't know about the "one time inspection" thing in MD, pretty stupid if you ask me. Now I understand the amount of falling apart POS rusty cars/ trucks driving around here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Think I'll go that way, pads may be due for a change (no warning light though) but rotors I don't think so. Car stops straight in a penny without any noise or vibration.

If someone in the Baltimore/ DC/ Philly area has experience, place, tools, time and is willing to do the job I think I'll cut the problem from root and get a rack from rack doctor, new steering lines and pads.

I can pay for the labor in cash or beer, whichever you prefer! I can also help if any coding to your car is needed, I have both P.A. and NCS and I'm pretty proficient with both.+

jfoj: Didn't know about the "one time inspection" thing in MD, pretty stupid if you ask me. Now I understand the amount of falling apart POS rusty cars/ trucks driving around here.
Safety is only once, emissions is every 2 years. So long as you don't have a CEL you'll pass emissions every time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is in fact a one time inspection. The only time a vehicle has to pass MD state inspection is at change of ownership. I lived in MD for 12 years. Met my wife there.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
MD Emission Inspections are required for vehicles that are registered in these counties:

Anne Arundel County
Baltimore City
Baltimore County
Calvert County
Carroll County
Cecil County
Charles County
Frederick County
Harford County
Howard County
Montgomery County
Prince George’s County
Queen Anne’s County
Washington County

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Depending on where you live, Emission Inspection is a requirement in MD. It has been a while since I really tracked what when on in MD, last I was heavily involved they used the IM240 testing on the treadmill/dyno's at the state Emission Inspection stations. I assume they may have moved toward more of a OBDII connection and testing method since the IM240 days?

But once you pass the safety inspection you only need to worry about Emission inspections every few years as I recall.

The down side about going to a different safety inspection location is you may have already paid for the first inspection and the new location may find other problems the first shop did not find!

Good luck, I hate MD Safety Inspection.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update, shop called.

Steering rack $980
Fluid flush $85

Front brake pads ("you need ceramics since it's a BMW") $225
Front rotors $350

So a $70 inspection is now a +$1500 UNNECESSARY repair. What a joke!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Depending on where you live, Emission Inspection is a requirement in MD. It has been a while since I really tracked what when on in MD, last I was heavily involved they used the IM240 testing on the treadmill/dyno's at the state Emission Inspection stations. I assume they may have moved toward more of a OBDII connection and testing method since the IM240 days?

But once you pass the safety inspection you only need to worry about Emission inspections every few years as I recall.

The down side about going to a different safety inspection location is you may have already paid for the first inspection and the new location may find other problems the first shop did not find!

Good luck, I hate MD Safety Inspection.
They removed the rollers ~2012. If the car is -1995 or older they have you rev and hold at 2500 rpm while they sample. 1996 and newer just gets and OBDII reading and gas cap pressure check.

You really need to find an honest inspector in MD and keep going back. I've had hell before but right before I left MD I found a pretty honest shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts