E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Focal 6.5 coax's. I would really rather not buy another set of speakers or hassle with installing tweeters. I plan on using the Business CD conected to an EQX, a Mcintosh 40wx2 to the Focals and factory tweets, with a leftover MB Quart passive crossover (3k) to the tweeter, and a JL 250/1 to a Stealthbox. I have had a coax/tweeter front set-up before and, if the high frequencies are balanced with the EQX it sounds great, bringing the soundstage up a little. I really don't like the sound od components when the tweeter is a foot away from the mid.
My question is do you think the factory tweeter is adequate for this purpose or iyo would a component tweeter be that much better?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
I would imagine that since you are shelling out big bucks for high-end gear, you are looking for SQ. Factory tweeters, while good enough for the average person, are far from being in the same performance category as your other equipment. Since they are already in, it won't hurt to try and see what they sound like, but I would just get a better set.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Your factory tweets probably won't last long with a high powered amp, even if you only Macintosh is rated at 40w x2...actual output is probably around 60w x 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts