BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the headlights was been replaced a year ago. I noticed the older headlight reflects a slight yellowing discoloration on edges of the refracted light. The older projector lens has what looks like small smudges on the projector lens.

The HIDs were recently replaced with a 6000K Philips UK set.

Anyone know if the yellowing is more due to ***8220;burn-in***8221; on the lens over time, or will cleaning the lenses fix the issue?

Anyone been able to clean the projector lenses and noticed a difference? If so, is cleaning possible without baking the headlight?

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
not possible without baking the headlight. did you buy your car new? if not, i would check around the edges of the light where the glue is and look for signs on whether or not it's been opened. if it was, then the projector could have gotten dirty from whoever opened it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Sillieidiot. 2nd owner. I'll take a closer look at the seal. If baking is the solution to getting the lens, its better than buying new OE. My initial guess is the discoloration is burn in from the many years of bulb heat. Do you know if the projector lens can be replaced individually?

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
sadly on the facelift coupes you cannot replace the lenses individually. technically u would need to buy a whole new headlight

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
Thanks, Sillieidiot. 2nd owner. I'll take a closer look at the seal. If baking is the solution to getting the lens, its better than buying new OE. My initial guess is the discoloration is burn in from the many years of bulb heat. Do you know if the projector lens can be replaced individually?
well you can buy it if you know the right people and where to look. but since it's glass, i would just wipe it down and be done with it. it's not like there's that much heat that it will cause the glass to permanently be damaged.

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
sadly on the facelift coupes you cannot replace the lenses individually. technically u would need to buy a whole new headlight
you are not reading are you? he's talking about the projector (glass) lens. in the worst case, you would buy another bixenon projector and take the lens off that.

what bmw would have you do on the other hand is what w0w told you.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
you are not reading are you? he's talking about the projector (glass) lens. in the worst case, you would buy another bixenon projector and take the lens off that.

what bmw would have you do on the other hand is what w0w told you.
thats what i said, technically you would have to buy a whole new headlight if you didnt want to swap out the projector lens

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
You're not really supposed to swap out the lenses on the sedan headlights either, but when has that ever stopped anyone from doing it?
someone who doesnt wanna bother taking apart 2 sets of headlights just to replace the lenses. for some they would rather pay to get a new set than fiddle around swapping things over, im just sayin

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Understood, I have options here. I might as well bake the existing headlight first. If the lens is shot, I would look to buy a projector lens from a fanatic, and/or stop by a BMW body shop looking for a busted headlight with a untouched lens.

Now, I need to determine if its worth the effort. Baking one headlight leads to baking both and a set of 6000K angel eyes ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can replace the lenses. YOu bake it open there is a clip i the back of projector. Get clear lenses, Wont regret output is so much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts