BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was getting bored and frustrated with the dim output from the stock Bosch bixenon projectors no matter what bulbs I put in there so I did something about it...retrofitted a set of Morimoto D2S 4.0. I don't recall anyone having done this before or that I've seen for facelift coupe headlights so here it is:

Headlight apart

This is the bracket I'm trying to fit the Morimotor projector in

But having clearance issues on both sides

And the mounting holes didn't line up

But no fear, just needed to shave off some metal

And now there's no more interference

Mounted with washers

Front view after mounted

I forgot to take pics of the bottom of the solenoid cover that needed to be cut off. This lower part was hitting the lower part of the mounting frame.

After all said and done, some shots; first one is about 35 ft from the garage door and not perfectly aligned yet

A closer shot; noticed the left side is a little blurry because the headlight lens is cloudy and needs to be buffed

Comments welcome!
Grateful if you can share the details on how get the light bowl apart from the housing

·
Registered
149 Posts
I actually bought these first to test them out: BMW E46 replicas
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/bi-xenon-bosch-e46-replica-projectors.html

but after I fired them up, I tossed them because the beam was narrower than my flashlight. I wanted to fit the RX350 bixenon in there but there was no way it'll fit so it came down to the Morimoto D2S 4.0, Mini H1 or G5-R. Chose the D2S 4.0 because I like the beam pattern and output. I have Osram CBI for now but was thinking of trying out the CBB. Which bulbs and ballasts do you have?
Reviving this thread a bit! I am looking to retrofit some projectors onto my facelift ZHP convertible. In your DIY did you use the E46 bracket and modify? What kit from theretrofitsource would you recommend now? I know they have a morimoto ds2 5.0 kit now. I was looking at this one
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-bmw-e46-zkw-repair-CRK-RQ-E46?quantity=1

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Grateful if you can share the details on how get the light bowl apart from the housing
There should be a sticky on how to do this on the main page for coupe/facelift cars. However, essentially you place the whole headlight in the oven and let the expoy/seal get hot and loose, and you pry apart the lens and housings. The first time I did it I just a heat gun which works just as well.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Reviving this thread a bit! I am looking to retrofit some projectors onto my facelift ZHP convertible. In your DIY did you use the E46 bracket and modify? What kit from theretrofitsource would you recommend now? I know they have a morimoto ds2 5.0 kit now. I was looking at this one

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-bmw-e46-zkw-repair-CRK-RQ-E46?quantity=1

Thanks

You cant use that if you have a facelift coupe.
The projectors yes. But the rest of the kit is useless on FL coupes.

Buy a spare set of headlights on ebay and one of the 2 projectors that is listed and retrofitted by me and the other member and start to dig in.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
149 Posts

Buy a spare set of headlights on ebay and one of the 2 projectors that is listed and retrofitted by me and the other member and start to dig in.

Right one! The only modification I should really need is just the washers over the OEM mounting screws to the OEM bracket from what I've seen? What bulbs are you running by the way? I've been looking at Osram CBI's, CBB's, etc.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
149 Posts

Did you end up using the OEM ballasts with the bixenon? Or did you need to buy new ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
There's one more screw that I can guarantee you haven't removed. It's buried deep between the chrome reflector and the projector frame. It's another of the torx screws.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's one more screw that I can guarantee you haven't removed. It's buried deep between the chrome reflector and the projector frame. It's another of the torx screws.
I ended up getting it out haha Have you done a retrofit? I have Morimoto DS2 5.0s I'm fitting in there. Any tips? Do I need an aftermarket ballast or can I use the OEM ballast? I will be running some Osram CBBs. Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I didn't do a retrofit replacing the projectors, what I did was make it a dual projector and removed the reflector for the high beams. That was years ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I ended up fitting the projector in the bracket. Some fitment issues obviously. Gonna try the washer method and I'm also picking up a dremel tomorrow. Also any opinions on which headlight style is preferred? The left side is OEM headlight with angel eyes on them. The actual headlight is not attached, rather the lens with the plastic pieces in front. The right is the entire headlight where I blacked out all chrome. Which do you guys like more?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I forgot to take pics of the bottom of the solenoid cover that needed to be cut off. This lower part was hitting the lower part of the mounting frame.
Yes I just did that! However I ran into an issue I think. While cutting, I didn't cut all the way through then used some needle nose pliers to pry the metal off. In the process I nicked one of the copper wires from the solenoid. Is this an issue? Photos attached. Thanks

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yes I just did that! However I ran into an issue I think. While cutting, I didn't cut all the way through then used some needle nose pliers to pry the metal off. In the process I nicked one of the copper wires from the solenoid. Is this an issue? Photos attached. Thanks View attachment 906205 View attachment 906206 View attachment 906207
Bixenon will not work now. Only option is to buy a new projector if you dont want to lose the bixenon feature.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bixenon will not work now. Only option is to buy a new projector if you dont want to lose the bixenon feature.

No, just talked to the company. It will still work, just the solenoid will need replacing. Just emailed them this morning and they are sending a new solenoid for me. Tested the lights with Osram CBB they look great!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
No, just talked to the company. It will still work, just the solenoid will need replacing. Just emailed them this morning and they are sending a new solenoid for me. Tested the lights with Osram CBB they look great!
Most solenoids on aftermarket projectors dont come off easily or at all. Depends on the projector but good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most solenoids on aftermarket projectors dont come off easily or at all. Depends on the projector but good luck.

Two T25 Torx bolts and it came off! TheRetrofitSource sent me a new one for free even though it was my fault! Got it in this morning and got everything put together. Wired up the Morimoto Solenoid and fixed up some rough looking wires. Put in the Osram CBBs and tested the solenoid and ballasts/bulbs in both projectors. Everything turned and worked as anticipated! Doing a little more custom headlight housing so that should be ready to go tomorrow! Will be posting a DIY on here and YouTube for those to follow!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts