BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting bored and frustrated with the dim output from the stock Bosch bixenon projectors no matter what bulbs I put in there so I did something about it...retrofitted a set of Morimoto D2S 4.0. I don't recall anyone having done this before or that I've seen for facelift coupe headlights so here it is:

Headlight apart

This is the bracket I'm trying to fit the Morimotor projector in

But having clearance issues on both sides

And the mounting holes didn't line up

But no fear, just needed to shave off some metal

And now there's no more interference

Mounted with washers

Front view after mounted

I forgot to take pics of the bottom of the solenoid cover that needed to be cut off. This lower part was hitting the lower part of the mounting frame.

After all said and done, some shots; first one is about 35 ft from the garage door and not perfectly aligned yet

A closer shot; noticed the left side is a little blurry because the headlight lens is cloudy and needs to be buffed

Comments welcome!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Wow that's so beautiful! I went with a budget projector (ijdmtoy) and I feel like that's why my light output isn't so great. It isn't as sharp as yours in the pictures. I didn't cheap out on the bulbs or ballasts though

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that's so beautiful! I went with a budget projector (ijdmtoy) and I feel like that's why my light output isn't so great. It isn't as sharp as yours in the pictures. I didn't cheap out on the bulbs or ballasts though
I actually bought these first to test them out: BMW E46 replicas
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/bi-xenon-bosch-e46-replica-projectors.html

but after I fired them up, I tossed them because the beam was narrower than my flashlight. I wanted to fit the RX350 bixenon in there but there was no way it'll fit so it came down to the Morimoto D2S 4.0, Mini H1 or G5-R. Chose the D2S 4.0 because I like the beam pattern and output. I have Osram CBI for now but was thinking of trying out the CBB. Which bulbs and ballasts do you have?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I actually bought these first to test them out: BMW E46 replicas
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/bi-xenon-bosch-e46-replica-projectors.html

but after I fired them up, I tossed them because the beam was narrower than my flashlight. I wanted to fit the RX350 bixenon in there but there was no way it'll fit so it came down to the Morimoto D2S 4.0, Mini H1 or G5-R. Chose the D2S 4.0 because I like the beam pattern and output. I have Osram CBI for now but was thinking of trying out the CBB. Which bulbs and ballasts do you have?
I bought them from theretrofitsource. I believe they are morimoto xb35. The ballasts are "fastbright f3" from amazon.

I'm considering koito bi-led's as a project. They have amazing output

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Was the plug for the bixenon flap (high beam) a direct plug n play?

Post some pics of the car to see the projector color head on.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the plug for the bixenon flap (high beam) a direct plug n play?

Post some pics of the car to see the projector color head on.

I cut off the plug that goes into the stock bixenon solenoid and connected directly to the 2 wires from the Morimoto plug. Here's how I did it:

Stock wires (3): brown, purple, purple/black
Morimoto wires (2): brown, white

(Morimoto) white ----> purple (stock)
(Morimoto) brown ---> brown + purple/black (stock)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I cut off the plug that goes into the stock bixenon solenoid and connected directly to the 2 wires from the Morimoto plug. Here's how I did it:

Stock wires (3): brown, purple, purple/black

Morimoto wires (2): brown, white

(Morimoto) white ----> purple (stock)

(Morimoto) brown ---> brown + purple/black (stock)

Thats what i ended up doing too. Just played with the connections and a 9V battery until the shutter opened correctly

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Just wanted to update you with my headlights. I restored the lenses and aimed (properly for the most part) and light output is much better. forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1226440
My left projector is rotated a little bit and my right headlight doesn't fully light up like the left one. By fully light up, when looking at the left one there's a circular beam showing on the lens whereas the right one has one hot spot and the projection is weaker and clearly seen on the wall. I'm gonna swap bulbs and see if the problem is the bulb or projector

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Wondering if you did anything to address the brittle wiring in the headlights? I have spare harnesses and am thinking of removing all wiring from the connectors and using new silicone insulated wiring.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wondering if you did anything to address the brittle wiring in the headlights? I have spare harnesses and am thinking of removing all wiring from the connectors and using new silicone insulated wiring.

First, I used electrical tapes then heat shrink tubes and then liquid electrical tape. Every wire was cracked, exposing bare metal wire. Next time if I ever open up the headlights again, I'm going to create a new harness using the same connectors. If you do go ahead with the silicone insulated wiring, let us know how it goes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
First, I used electrical tapes then heat shrink tubes and then liquid electrical tape. Every wire was cracked, exposing bare metal wire. Next time if I ever open up the headlights again, I'm going to create a new harness using the same connectors. If you do go ahead with the silicone insulated wiring, let us know how it goes. :thumbup:

I will probably do it over some time. I have 2 headlights on my car then bought 2 as a spare since my lights were going out due to cracked wiring. Then bought 2 to do the projector retrofit and one of the lights i got for parts has mint condition harnesses. Funny because all the other lights if you look at funny the insulation falls off lol

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
What did you do with the brown wire that had a female terminal on it to the screw on the projector? I covered it and put it to the side but now i have one light dimmer than the other. Wondering if it is because of that.

Is that a ground? I believe i did the same with the other light and i have no issues with that one.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did you do with the brown wire that had a female terminal on it to the screw on the projector? I covered it and put it to the side but now i have one light dimmer than the other. Wondering if it is because of that.

Is that a ground? I believe i did the same with the other light and i have no issues with that one.

That brown wire that connects to the projector is a ground wire. I re-attached it to the new projector. Don't know if it makes a difference if it's not used. When using aftermarket parts, no matter what brand, you run the risk of un-matched color, output, hotspots, etc....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
That brown wire that connects to the projector is a ground wire. I re-attached it to the new projector. Don't know if it makes a difference if it's not used. When using aftermarket parts, no matter what brand, you run the risk of un-matched color, output, hotspots, etc....

Think i actually figured the output and color difference. When i gave the projector and reflector bowl a quick wipe before assembling it back together.. i think the cutoff shield pulled towards the lens. I took it apart again and pushed the shield toward the bulb and it was a perfect match to the other side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im considering doing this as well. Can you please link to where you bought these projectors? Did you retain auto leveling?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/hid-led-projectors/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-d2s-4-0-projectors.html?preselect=51537,51977,47689

Is that were you got them? are those the options you chose?

DO you really need to put these headlights in an oven or will a heathen work to remove the lenses.

I'm going to pick up these lenses also

https://www.bimmerjakes.com/en/home/3-bmw-3-series-e46-coupecabrio-facelift-new-headlight-lens-plastic-cover.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Im considering doing this as well. Can you please link to where you bought these projectors? Did you retain auto leveling?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/hid-led-projectors/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-d2s-4-0-projectors.html?preselect=51537,51977,47689

Is that were you got them? are those the options you chose?

DO you really need to put these headlights in an oven or will a heathen work to remove the lenses.

I'm going to pick up these lenses also

https://www.bimmerjakes.com/en/home/3-bmw-3-series-e46-coupecabrio-facelift-new-headlight-lens-plastic-cover.html

Thanks!

Yes u need to put in the oven. If not comfortable with that you may not want to tackle this job. And those lenses are not sold by bmw individually. You are better off sanding and polishing your current ones.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I just bought a pair of morimoto mini h1 7.0's to put into my current setup. I'm gonna do a quad xenon setup

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
With the OE/Bosch projectors? If your interested i have a spare set of G5-R projectors without the bixenon feature working.

I already have a set of cheap iJDMToy projectors in my headlights. I'm gonna put these in place of the high beam since they aren't as good as the morimoto ones and I rarely use high beams. I was looking at D2S projectors cause I thought light output would be even better but I was afraid of making any modifications just cause I don't have experience and I don't have tooooo much money to play around with
I don't even use bi-xenon so your offer would've been great but I already have the stuff :dunno:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts