BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show

F30Driver is live at the first media day of the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. We've spend the morning hands on with the F30 2012 3 series sedan and I'm pleased to report that in person it is a HOT car. The car is better looking then the photos and is every bit a proper successor to the outgoing E90 3 series.

The two design traits that have been discussed the most, the headlight design going all the way to the grills and the hood line are really non-issues. The headlights look aggressive and make the front pop and stand out, the width of the light adds to the intensity of the car, making it look wider and lower. The hood line on a Melbourne red car almost disappears. The line is more noticeable on the lighter colors, such as the glacier silver 328i on the main show floor but it doesn't take away from the look.

The interior is more E46 like then the outgoing E90 with the return of the driver oriented dash. BMW has brought back a lot of physical buttons for basic tasks and features saving you from too much iDrive interaction. This does make the interior a little busy and button laden but to be able to reach down a press a button without taking your eyes off the road is worth the trade off.

There are a few places where the are some disappointingly cheap plastic on the car. The bottom half of the mirror and the mirror base stand out as the most disappointing use of cheap plastic. The mirrors in general aren't that great anyways.

Having seen the car in person I'm that much more excited for the F30Driver.com 2012 F30 3 Series Sedan to get here! The F30 delivers what you want for the next three series and I can't wait to drive it! Stay tuned for more coverage of the 2012 Detroit Auto Show and the BMW F30.

·
Mod Junkie
1,093 Posts
The F30 was really good looking in person for the most part. There are certainly going to be some excellent modding opportunities with the new generation for sure.

I strangest thing I may have noticed was just how much trouble people had closing the doors on the F30. It seems like the doors require a little more force to close and you could tell that people were having some trouble deciding how much force to use :lmao:

The F10 M5 is a BEAST in person; that car is flat out awesome. I'm looking forward to getting an opportunity to take that one for a spin :yikes:

·
Registered
28,973 Posts
love it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts