BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm really liking the new 328i and looking to get one but kind of hesitant about the turbo 4 as a daily driver. Anyone have any experience with these engines or heard or read anything about the longevity? Thanks

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They're fairly reliable in stock form, but being a 4-cyl the N20 engine doesn't respond as well to mods, nor is it nearly as strong as an N54/N55.
I like the way they look too, much more than an E90 sedan (even LCI with sport package), but most will argue the E90 is the better driver's car.

Faced with a similar dilemma, I've branched off and started looking at Mercedes as an alternative. More specifically, the C350 coupe / sedan (2012+).
Those are naturally aspirated V6's with over 300hp, that have been proven to be very reliable (transmissions included - although they only come in auto). I have one in the family, and it feels quicker than my old E46 M3 (6MT). Fuel economy is averaging around 22-23mpg.

Edit: My point is that a turbo car will generally always require more attention, particularly at higher mileage. I'd choose the simple engine.
Both are direct injected engines though, and will evnetually require walnut blasting to clear out the carbon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What happened to your e46? I remember you had a very nice looking pic of it in your avatar.

They're fairly reliable in stock form, but being a 4-cyl the N20 engine doesn't respond as well to mods, nor is it nearly as strong as an N54/N55.
I like the way they look too, much more than an E90 sedan (even LCI with sport package), but most will argue the E90 is the better driver's car.

Faced with a similar dilemma, I've branched off and started looking at Mercedes as an alternative. More specifically, the C350 coupe / sedan (2012+).
Those are naturally aspirated V6's with over 300hp, that have been proven to be very reliable (transmissions included - although they only come in auto). I have one in the family, and it feels quicker than my old E46 M3 (6MT). Fuel economy is averaging around 22-23mpg.

Edit: My point is that a turbo car will generally always require more attention, particularly at higher mileage. I'd choose the simple engine.
Both are direct injected engines though, and will evnetually require walnut blasting to clear out the carbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts