E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's merc e270 Diesel w211 got written off during recent floods in Boxhill of all places. He is looking for a replacement. Looking at a w212 or F10. I'd obviously prefer the F10. Anyone here got one within the family or friends? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys,

Me.
My best friend has one.
It's honestly, perfect.
what exactly has he got ? Anything in particular that you really like abou it?

Tourings are king
PM'ed you for some info.

i have the LCI E60

fairly close to the F10 in terms of equipment but obviously still not identical
I know you only got the car but what did you find out in your reseach about problems or issues with the diesels if any ?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My good friend has a 520d.

Sold his recent model A4 deisel in favour of the BMW. He's very happy with it and is apparently very happy to be rid of the problem riddled Audi.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know you only got the car but what did you find out in your reseach about problems or issues with the diesels if any ?
the E60 in general has some issues. sitting at the lights on idle when the car is warm will sometimes give the car the shakes. that could be 1 of 2 issues which is either exhaust not mounted properly or engine mounts. both have TSBs in the US but none in Aus

you've got your sunroof drain faults. electronic niggles etc. gearbox jolting when you slow down almost to a halt then take off again.

im very pleased with the diesel. just got it serviced the other week at bavarian engineering. they charged me from memory $370 for an oil and filter change, and the normal tests etc. just your basic service. i felt it was a really good price considering my 3 series both costed about $500+ for a regular service

i havent had any issues with mine so far. and i still have manufacturers warranty which i intend to extend for another 2 or 3yrs. at which time i'll sell the car for something else

interior is great. i love the 20 way electronic seats. idrive is great. headsup display has been a real treat. overall im just chuffed to bits with it. although i just got 18" M Sports for the car and it came with runflats. and im hoping to run over some nails so that i'll have an excuse to replace the runflats with some real tyres. they make the car drive like complete ****

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My good friend has a 520d.

Sold his recent model A4 deisel in favour of the BMW. He's very happy with it and is apparently very happy to be rid of the problem riddled Audi.
Is that an F10 or E60?

the E60 in general has some issues. sitting at the lights on idle when the car is warm will sometimes give the car the shakes. that could be 1 of 2 issues which is either exhaust not mounted properly or engine mounts. both have TSBs in the US but none in Aus

you've got your sunroof drain faults. electronic niggles etc. gearbox jolting when you slow down almost to a halt then take off again.

im very pleased with the diesel. just got it serviced the other week at bavarian engineering. they charged me from memory $370 for an oil and filter change, and the normal tests etc. just your basic service. i felt it was a really good price considering my 3 series both costed about $500+ for a regular service

i havent had any issues with mine so far. and i still have manufacturers warranty which i intend to extend for another 2 or 3yrs. at which time i'll sell the car for something else

interior is great. i love the 20 way electronic seats. idrive is great. headsup display has been a real treat. overall im just chuffed to bits with it. although i just got 18" M Sports for the car and it came with runflats. and im hoping to run over some nails so that i'll have an excuse to replace the runflats with some real tyres. they make the car drive like complete ****
Thanks for the insight mate, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
F10

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible to find out what he thinks about the 135kw engine? Does it haul the car ok as it is a big car. The F10 is longer than the merc E-class w212. Obviously the the 520d has a 4 pot diesel so this is probably closer to a lawnmover than a performance car :)
but in terms of fuel consumption does it keep to the promise which is 5.2 (L/100kms) ? I read somewhere that the 6 pot 535d with a 220kw engine maybe better for city running. Anyway if you happen to meet him then any info positive and negative would be much appreciated. Nothing like asking someone who has one as a daily. cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
my 520d (E60) is driven to the city each day. 38km round trip. takes me 2hours. start stop traffic. im getting 8.4L/100km. on weekends when im visiting friends. normal 60km speed limit roads. normal traffic. i get about 7.2L/100km. on the highway it'll stay constantly around 5L/100km but i rarely ever do highway driving

power wise it'll go if you floor it. its faster than a 523i. and about as fast as the 525i. although its definitely not as much fun to drive as the 525i and slightly less refined

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot for all those who contributed to this thread. Took the F10 for a test drive but the w212 250CDI won it at the end. For a diesel it is much quieter (definitely quieter than the previous car which was a w211 CDI) and pick up is impressive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts