BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title. I have read a bunch of rough idle threads. If there's a vaccuum leak the car will have rough idle regardless of which gear it is in. However, for me, it's smooth as butter when I stop in P or N. But when I stop in R or N, the whole car literally vibrates like a vibrator. Already checked for vaccuum leaks and the elbow thing on the intake, new spark plugs, did DISA valve & cleaned ICV. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
It's cause your transmission is missing a pedal... :rofl: :clap:

But in all seriousness, I have heard that it is either a motor mount or tranny mount issue. Not sure if it has ever really been resolved though. My old VW Passat (RIP) did the same thing and I could never resolve the issue there either.

·
Registered
359 Posts
its the oil control valve and regulator in the rear of the manifold!. I had same problem , I blew my starter and had them replaced also. See when the starter goes in order to change it you have to remove top part of manifold to get to it because of the AWD. I had my oil control vlaves replaced while they were doing the starter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been having this issue, which ended up culminating in a misfire on 5 cylinders, and a lean fuel mixture. Diagnosed as a bad CCV and possibly a bad DISA. I'll let you know if it resolves when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The axle is not likely the case as it was changed less than 6 months ago.

Let us know how it goes 28firefighter

SILVRRONIN: How hard is it to have those 2 components changed? I'm planning to sell my car but I can't if the shakes like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
oil control valve?

he must mean "idle control valve" or "ICV"

not a difficult DIY...search for it here or on google.

·
Registered
359 Posts
yeah the idle control valve is easy.. i was having my starter replaced so i had it done at the same time. I am SOOO glad I found this Xi forum!.. I have done alot of work to my Xi wagon and have been the silver sheep at my local e46 meet. i was the only AWD and one of two tourings there! the rest were all coupes,sedans, 2wd and M3s! I have alot of info to shware with everyone about the Xi model. I have done all upgrades, disa,starters, intakes,cv axles, trim, lights, exhaust, powerflex bushings, entire cooling system, brakes, control arms,ball joints..etc...please feel free to ask! check ou my ride . i just need to update my modifications. i have a RTAB toll fro rent if anyone needs it. Just gimme two weeks to get this business trip done with.

·
Registered
359 Posts
its not the axle! GET THE DISA CHANGED ASAP if your in the 100k range! if it goes and the little pin comes out!! your screwed!!! just buy a new engine! it was get sucked into one of your cylinders......full bore cylinder scoring and engine wil shut down or just close a cylinder. I found one for $165......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got the car back today. Replaced the DISA and CCV and things are much much improved. Car is much smoother at idle, but I am still suffering from some bizarre A/C related idle dip that buzzes the car when the compressor kicks on. Oh well, if its not one thing, its got to be something else.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
its not the axle! GET THE DISA CHANGED ASAP if your in the 100k range! if it goes and the little pin comes out!! your screwed!!! just buy a new engine! it was get sucked into one of your cylinders......full bore cylinder scoring and engine wil shut down or just close a cylinder. I found one for $165......
The pin won't come out unless you lose it while you're taking the whole thing out. It's seated in a channel. Just be careful taking it out and you'll be fine. Either way, if its broken just replace it. Which reminds me that I should probably do mine soon... Also, why would a bad axle cause vibrations while the car is standing still? Axle don't matter till you start spinning it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's cause your transmission is missing a pedal... :rofl: :clap:

But in all seriousness, I have heard that it is either a motor mount or tranny mount issue. Not sure if it has ever really been resolved though. My old VW Passat (RIP) did the same thing and I could never resolve the issue there either.

+1. Beat me to it. Another vote for motor/trans mount.

·
Registered
310 Posts
+1. Beat me to it. Another vote for motor/trans mount.
Would a bad motor or trans mount cause vibrations at highway cruising speeds too? I have a very slight vibration at cold engine start-up and a vibration at highway speeds. The vibration at speed is more of a concern than anything else because I can't tell if it is an alignment, steering component, axle, or mount issue, or if there is any safety risks. DISA and CCV+all tubes were replaced with new OEM in Feb of this year. CV boots look good, no tears or grease splatter.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
i have the same problem...so the changing the CCV will help with the shaking at R and D?
i never would have guessed a CCV would cause that problem... my guess would be a transmission issue/torque convertor issue

1 - 20 of 104 Posts