E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has been few months since the thread started, but would you mind sharing your experience? Did you got with an OEM part or did FCP grotton axle work just fine?

I was replacing the front axle on my 2001 330xi and faced a big problem with the FCP groton part. Part of the axle shaft that goes into the differential, has a diameter 1mm bigger that the original part. Thus you just can't insert it into the differential - it just doesn't fit. While the original part goes in very easily.

I'm sure it could be just a defective part and I'm now talking to FCP groton to see if they will do something about it. But just my 50 cents...

·
Registered
2 Posts
At 132K miles the outer axle boot on my front drivers side (2003 330xi) was split and needed replacement. The shop doing the work felt that there could be damage to the axle so I decided to replace both front drive shafts with FCP Groton drive shafts purchased on ebay. At 138K miles the passanger side outer boot was torn and falling apart and the inner boot was leaking. I had the shop replace the passanger side with the OEM axle that was replaced at 132K miles. I had intended to have the shop replace the outer boot but they could not get the axle apart to do it. The axle on the drivers side is OK so far. I am not impressed with the FCP Groton part made in China. I kind of think that in the end it was a POS quick fix that did not work. I was expecting to have the axles get me to the 200K mile mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've bought a pair of FA from FCP and had no luck with it. Sure, it was much cheaper than OEM ($400 vs $1500 CA), but after installation by my trusty mechanic, I had a loud (and frightening) clunking sound coming from the left driveshaft. I had it checked by a BMW dealer who told me it was a « jobber » (made in China) part that was ill-fitting. I finally got the driveshafts from BMW and had to give the FCP ones in replacement to get the listed price (or I would have to pay more). FCP offered me to send back the parts and refund me, but since I had to give them to the dealer, it ended costing me the FCP driveshafts ($ 355 US) + install job + the OEM driveshafts + install... :censor:

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
my mechanic just rebuilt mine and its working awesome.. best 200$ i spent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had no trouble at all with my FCP Groton Chinese axle on my 2002 325xi.

Just make sure your mechanic replaces the c-ring with the original from the failed axle and throws away the one from the FCP axle.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have new oem axles replaced under CPO at BMW. The boots are supposed to hold up much longer than the original ones on the car.

I would try and replace the boots only with new oem parts if you can. It not I would stick with OEM, but I have no experience with the others.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had no trouble at all with my FCP Groton Chinese axle on my 2002 325xi.

Just make sure your mechanic replaces the c-ring with the original from the failed axle and throws away the one from the FCP axle.
Should have known that before I got my axleshafts... Maybe it would have saved me the hassle and money. Anyway... :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to replace one of my front drive axles on my 2002 330Xi. Anyone with first-hand experience with the ones sold by FCP Groton?
Last year, my 2003 325xi with approx 120K miles started to get a terrible pulsating/vibration when I drove on the highway starting at about 50MPH and higher. That was around march of 2009. Took it to BMW, tuns out it needed new CV axles, the original axles finally gave up. That was a very good run!!! One was leaking, the other one wasn't. So I bought a set of CV axles from FCP Groton last march. I also took the time to replace my shocks while I was it. Put the new axles on (had to change the clip on them, the ones provided are way too large) and my ride was smooth like new again. Just a few weeks ago (early april 2010) the same pulsating/vibration was back....convince that it could not possibly be the axles, I replaced the control arms, bushings (upgraded to the powerflex while I was at it), upper ball joints, the the rods and sway bar links, and also put new rotors and brakes while I was at it.... A complete front end rebuild right?....The pulsating/vibration is still there. Took it back to BMW..... sure enough, it's the Axles again, except this time, none of the boots are broken. The shaft however does have some surface rust, which is to be expected, except that, my BMW ones that were original with 120K miles, had no rust ...... My recommendation, do not buy from FCP Groton, they will mostly likely last you a year. They are Chinese crap, I bought it cause it was priced cheaply. Didn't know they were chinese until I received them though. I've learned my lesson. :banghead:

Now, I still have my original BMW ones in the garage,.... I wonder if I can clean those out and repack them with new crease and put new boots on them? But then that also makes me wonder, what if the Chinese ones I have on the car now just need a better quality grease? I don't know. I think perhaps I'll just buy some German or US made one. Or stick with OEM, they are super expensive, but they lasted 5 years

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325xi
53 Posts
Im glad I stumbled across this thread. My CV joint on the drivers side is ticking and hear some vibration under acceleration which is my axle as well; my right CV boot is torn and plan replacing them both at the same time.

I looked at those FCP Euro Axles for the E46 Xi and the prices are great compared to a new/rebuilt OEM axle that can cost up to $500! That being said though, in the long run, which will cost more? The cheap(-ly made) axles, or OEM?
I do want to save money, but I also WANT quality and peace of mind when I install those new axles that will last another 100k or so...

From what I have read so far on this thread is to go for OEM so theres no headaches down the road.

Anyone else have reviews for FCP Euro Axles for the E46 Xi??

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you have an Autopart International near you, I suggest them. They use solid shafts versus hollow OEM and the CV joints are much bigger so they can handle a bit more abuse as well. Seeing as these are obviously not rebuilds, there's no core charge to worry about. They're about $70ea before tax.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,608 Posts
I put an Empire axle from FCP on my 325xi this summer with no issues, they matched Rock Auto's price plus the cost of shipping from Rock Auto to me. Saved a bunch plus I get a real lifetime warranty. I'm still considering re-booting the original for a spare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.