E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is such an unfortunate first post :cry:.

Bought a 318i two weeks ago, was very pleased with my purchase, I worked hard for it, had plans towards making it clean. Didn't get any insurance right away - a big mistake.

I street parked it when I visited a friend last Saturday night. A few hours later I hear tyres screech, that unmistakeable sound of car hitting car, and glass shatter. I head outside and see this and nothing else (the other car had driven off):

I suppose I was quite cut but then I calmed down and realised it could have been much worse, could have caused mechanical damage, could have written my car off, we could have been inside the car, and so on. She's still perfectly driveable, though it no longer indicates left :facepalm:

Anyway only got around to taking it for quotes at the smash repairers today due to work and uni. Drove down to Moss St and visited a few. Everyone wanted $4000+, still waiting on another few quotes.

The bumper is a simple repair job, the mold must be replaced, and that rear quarter panel apparently costs an obscene amount of labour to replace (boot interior removed, back seats removed).

I am a poor uni student who saved for a terribly long amount of time to get an E46, a car I've told myself I would own since high school. I don't have anywhere near $4k. At most I'd be able to scrounge up $2800 in the next two weeks.

Any suggestions on what to do? Can it be fixed for cheaper? To be honest I don't know much at all about this, I've come here for :help:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
cant be 'fixed' for much less as they are right about the amount of work required for your rear quarter.

you could, for a temp measure, get a rubber mallet in there and gently coax it out to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
mate, don't mention it to insurance or the pigs.
Insure your car, claim it after 3/4 months, say you were hit on the street, driver drove off etc.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Insure your car, claim it after 3/4 months, say you were hit on the street, driver drove off etc.
And get into even more trouble with fraud charges and a permanent criminal record.

Great start for a uni student looking to begin a brand new career.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Oz 330, I considered doing this, but what about my taillight or lack thereof? Won't it attract attention from "le porc" as they say in France? Don't think I could get a replacement to fit well. Having said that looks like DIY is currently the only route I can afford to go down.

@Selien, that's actually the first thing I thought of doing. I called up one of my best mates who processes car insurance claims to "hypothetically" see if pulling a sneaky one was possible. What happens is within the first 6 months of an insurance contract, any claims you make are placed on their fraud investigation watchlist. They will then call around (to cops, smash repairers) and see if you've tried to get a quote off them and other CSI-level shenanigans. Success is quite possible but I'm an honest bloke who'd rather avoid such shenanigans and have already burnt my bridges in this regard.

Not to mention the car would be so rusted by 3 months time. And I need to drive it to and from work so gotta repair it asap.

@johnca, cheers champ I'm gonna have to try quite a few.

Does anyone recommend any smash repairers?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope the fool gets caught (atleast in front of a freight train). Dont do any dodgy stuff and ruin your future. You have a straight head already to realize it could've been worse which is absolutely correct! Take it to a few places as you will see that quotes can vary. If you haven't already done so, check if there are any security cameras around where you parked.

Get an mtech 2 rear bumper replacement which will save you on mods. Rep bumpers are cheap as. Maybe you could get the front and side skirts at the same time to reduce cost of paint and fitting. Best of luck!

·
Euro tuner
3,200 Posts
Didn't get any insurance right away - a big mistake.
Very true. I would worry more about getting a good job done, Than a cheap job.
Keep that in mind, and you should be right.

As for a panel beater, just get four or so quotes. Also ask about what sort of warranty they have on the workmanship.

Insurance fraud is jail time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gee, sorry to hear of this and just glad no one was in the car when it happened.

Yes, the bumper moulding and tail light is the easy repair, but definitely need to get the back seat out of the way to get to that crease in the rear quarter panel.

I don't know if this will be any better, but try phoning the guys at P.J. Murphy Smash repairs ( Fortitude Valley ) and tell them that you don't have insurance, need a
private repair quote and that you're a Uni student on limited income and see what quote they come back with. Their number is 3252 4857.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is so unfortunate -wrong place at the wrong time.
Everyone is saying lucky no one was in the car... i would have rathered be in the car, get hit, and catch the persons rego number!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ouch so sorry that's happened to you.

On the other hand though i have been trapped getting out of driveways before by people who just park there blocking me in and have almost done the same thing. Be careful where you park and be mindful of others trying to get out coz they just don't care if they're in an old car and will plow through you.

Agree with Worx get 4 quotes and if you work can't you get one of those quick cash loans then tell the panel beater you can pay cash and possibly get it cheaper (yes kesh i know the boys will laugh at me for saying this)

·
Registered
822 Posts
i would have rathered be in the car, get hit, and catch the persons rego number!!

....and chase em the f*ck home with a meat cleaver!!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
This is so unfortunate -wrong place at the wrong time.
Everyone is saying lucky no one was in the car... i would have rathered be in the car, get hit, and catch the persons rego number!!
smart.

·
Registered
508 Posts
cant be 'fixed' for much less as they are right about the amount of work required for your rear quarter.

you could, for a temp measure, get a rubber mallet in there and gently coax it out to an acceptable level.
^ This, you can buy an OEM set of amber sedan tails off here for under $40 and make it legal, drive it until you can pay for it to be repaired by a professional without it destroying you, don't be tempted by someone that doesn't speak english and uses his garage as a spray booth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any suggestions on what to do? Can it be fixed for cheaper? To be honest I don't know much at all about this, I've come here for :help:
You seem like a fairly intelligent person, do some research on the net, about how to work the metal back close to original, put a little body filler on to cover any learner marks and spray yourself. it sounds a lot harder than it actually is. Granted you probably wont get it perfect, but to the casual observer it will look fine. this would cost you about $500 in materials, and a couple of days.

Conversly talk to a mobile dent and scratch removal guy, they are much cheaper, will do similar process as outlined above, will do a much better job than you could hope for, and will only take about a day. should get away with less than $1500 I would think. Alot of car yard use this type of repair as it is quick, inexpensive, and results are good.

This process of repairing the panel, instead of replacing is the old way of panel beating, and if done properly is as strong as original.

Good luck.

John

·
Registered
443 Posts
Poor bugger! Breaks my heart when f***heads do this to other peoples cars and don't have the balls to own up :(
Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Ah what a lame situation. Mate take it as an excuse to update the car. Get m tech II bumper and the update taillights and call it a mod. Also check for structural damage. If you say it was loud, then there's a good chance there may be some

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah what a lame situation. Mate take it as an excuse to update the car. Get m tech II bumper and the update taillights and call it a mod. Also check for structural damage. If you say it was loud, then there's a good chance there may be some
There wont be any structural damage with what has bee done, impact was behind the wheel, this is just cosmetic.

I do know what I am talking about, I own a custom bike shop and do all my own panelbeating and spraypainting.
Cheers
John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts