BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just looking for some opinions. Did a cooling system overhaul around this time last year and all went without issues, except I didn't use all reliable parts. So a couple leaks had developed over time. I just finished another overhaul using the cooling package from Tischer.

However in all my confidence of having done it before... When I go to fill the tank I notice an immediate leak. I thought it was coming from the hose that connects to the bracket on the bottom of the radiator. But after removing and replacing the ET three times. I figured out it was coming from where the ET meets the ATF thermostat. Like I said, in all my confidence, I didn't verify that the ET was fully seated. It wouldn't fully go in place because the top of the thermostat was slightly broken. A clip that keeps the spring-loaded top of the thermo in place was broken so the top was leaning to one side. There was no way I could hold it in place and have enough room to slide the ET over properly. So I intentionally broke the top off and now my leak is solved.

I know the issue of potential damage to the tranny and torque converter because the coolant temp won't be regulated. How much damage do you think will be done if I drive 20 minutes a day for two days? (10 minutes each way to and from work)

I have on order now, a new thermo of course, as well as a radiator, bracket, the connector that goes in the bracket, and the hose that joins up to that connector. And while I'm in there, again, I'm going to do the kpeng electric fan mod. They won't be arriving for a few days but I need to drive tomorrow and the day after.

Thanks for any opinions,
Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point! But I'm clueless, I'm sure some has an argument for taking the street. I have a ride to work in the morning so I'm not stressing as much now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts