BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a coolant overhaul yesterday this morning while engines was cold I went to check the level to see if it had dropped again like it should have only when I looked today the top of the float stick in the expansion tank is broke off, I was able to remove the piece that broke... does this really matter? or just an indicator? I would hate to have to replace the expansion tank over again just for the stupid float indicator that works like crap anyways..

Ideas? Opinions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same too it's intact (foam) I'll go take a pic plenty cold now its been sitting all day..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking the same too it's intact (foam) I'll go take a pic plenty cold now its been sitting all day..
Hey did you end up taking that pic? I found myself pretty much in the same situation after measuring the antifreeze level in the coolant...

I'll try to fish out the stick later on and any pointers would be welcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My stick also broke. Does anyone know if you have to replace the whole entire assembly to get a new measuring stick? Or can you just replace the stick itself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Coolant measuring stick broken!

Unfortunately, while topping off my coolant, the funnel snapped off the top half of my floating measuring stick. No pieces fell inside, but now my stick is broken. Does anyone know if you can replace this stick by itself? Or do you need to replace the whole expansion tank? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
oops, I answered you, gve, but Jake deleted it because he's that kind of mod! :lmao:

You don't have to replace ET...the coolant should be 5.5" below the top of the filler neck to be between min and max...a safe level.

as mentioned above, the float below should just be hitting the bottom of it's top brace and the coolant shouldn't be above it.

I've measured for another guy...5.5" ...or you can get a new tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Perfect, I can ghetto rig a measuring stick I can dip in there. Atleast for now till I replace it, thanks Dmax. And sorry Solidjake, I'm a relative noob. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Assuming you bled the system correctly.
You should check your coolant in a day or so, then a week after that for the next month just to make sure everything at the level.

Definitely DO NOT over fill your exp. tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts