BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed catless headers and left the rest of the exhaust system stock?

If so how did it sound and if you have a clip can you post it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the catless jvt headers on stock piping and it sounds decent if you like rasp...if you don't I'd say go with ar25 or w.e it is rasp terminator welded into sec 1

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about with rasp. I'm hard of hearing so I guess that's a good thing :lol:.

Did just the JVT headers make the car deeper or louder?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not in SC it isn't :D
Uh, yes it is. Cats are required under federal law, not state law. Just because your state does not have emissions testing does not make it legal.

Also, you know that this means that your car will throw a CEL that you cannot ever make go away unless you put in some type of "sim" right? The danger there is that if another problem occurs, you will not be able to tell as the CEL will always be on, so you will not know if it is from the O2 sensors or something else that could be a true mechanical engine problem.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uh, yes it is. Cats are required under federal law, not state law. Just because your state does not have emissions testing does not make it legal.

Also, you know that this means that your car will throw a CEL that you cannot ever make go away unless you put in some type of "sim" right? The danger there is that if another problem occurs, you will not be able to tell as the CEL will always be on, so you will not know if it is from the O2 sensors or something else that could be a true mechanical engine problem.
I've never ran cats on any of my vehicles so I am not worried about it. And I'm getting custom tuned.....the CEL will not be an issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
No worries, just wanted to make sure you underrstood what you were getting into (nowadays some people just don't seem to know what's up).

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a non-issue. I've never once had law look under my cars....even if they tried they all are so low you can't see anything....lol. Now if it starts being enforced that's a different story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How bad is the smell when you don't run cats?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never really noticed it while driving my Subaru that had all 3 cats deleted. May catch a slight whiff at a stop light though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about with rasp. I'm hard of hearing so I guess that's a good thing :lol:.

Did just the JVT headers make the car deeper or louder?
it had a increasse is loudness but the rasp is a lot its bascally everything u hear from 3k rpm and up wiht theh stock pipes and headers

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump for a more definate answer. Will just catless headers make the exhaust a little louder? I would love to have it just a smidge deeper.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i deleted my cat in section 2 (leaving everything else stock) and it wasnt louder but def more rasp around 4-6k rpms so im guessing what you will hear is the same... btw i dont think you can eliminate the rasp completely given that our engines are inline six's

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not worried about rasp. I just want it a little bit louder but not so much that cruising and idle is bothersome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts