BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been noticing a slight vibration coming from the exhaust, but only when under a load in usually the higher gears (3-4-5). It only happens at exactly 2000 rpm. I put it up in the air and tried free-revving it to see what was vibrating, but everything seems solid. I've followed the entire exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds to the muffler and nothing is touching or loose from front to back. All exhaust hangers/bushings are in use and tight.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah mine vibrates when I am at a complete stop as well. Suggestions would be awesome because it is so annoying!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^Check the first exhaust support right by where the exhaust manifolds/cats meet the rest of the exhaust. It often rusts apart and rattles against the exhaust pipes.

Mine never does it at a stop or a free rev though, only under load in higher gears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^Check the first exhaust support right by where the exhaust manifolds/cats meet the rest of the exhaust. It often rusts apart and rattles against the exhaust pipes.

Mine never does it at a stop or a free rev though, only under load in higher gears.
Was the problem you had due to this exhaust issue? I am having a similar issue. Vibration that seems to be coming from exhaust/heat shield/drive train. It ONLY happens between around 1,800 and 2,100 RPMs. It is an audible vibration but not a vibration I feel in the steering wheel or anything. It is there when in neutral but much more evident under a load which makes it hard to diagnose. I get the vibration in every gear (it's more evident in 3-5 since the RPMs don't rise as quickly in those gears). I also get the vibration in that range even when slowing down when RPMs decrease and fall into that range. Performance seems fine and no issues other than noise noticed. Thanks for any input!
2000 323 ci 5 speed manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts