E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed in my 2001 330xi that the butterfly valve was jammed shut, so I golf tee modded it. Anyway, due to a broken spring, it will just rattle now when idling and not stay open. I bought some JB weld to epoxy it open, but due to low clearance between the pipe and bumper, I don't think I'll be able to epoxy it without first removing the bumper.

A question for anyone with experience with the exhaust - Do you think I need to remove the bumper to be able to access the top of the butterfly valve? If so, can anyone give some tips to removing the bumper of a pre-facelift sedan w/ sport package? I've been scouring the forums, but none of the results match my bumper. I also don't want to break any tabs.

If I don't need to remove the bumper, any suggestions for cutting out the butterfly valve or any other options? I don't wanna make it a bigger job than it needs to be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ended up using a pry bar and some wrenches to torque the valve and bend it up. Wasn't able to easily remove it, but now it is stuck in the open position - good enough for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts