BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Got Mis-shift?
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust makes a popping sound when I rev match............... or when I blip the throttle. Do any of you guys experience this????

It sounds like it's coming from the middle part of the exhaust pipe (by the catalystic converter).
The weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't happen :dunno:

·
Got Mis-shift?
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
infoman said:
does it should like its backfiring? if it is it might be ur valves..
Yeah................ it sounds exactly like that but it doesn't happen everytime.... :dunno:

·
I holla
1,678 Posts
is it a stock exhaust?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get that occasionally. Usually on a cooler morning where I get in and just drive. After about a few minutes of normal cruising, I'll blip the throttle to rev-match and I'll get a backfire. I have an ECIS intake and stock exhaust.

I attribute this to the car running slightly richer after initial start up and maintaining that condition while the internals warm up. I then think there is a build up in the exhaust that would go unnoticed if there were no sudden bursts - but that "blip" is enough to force a reaction. Any how, that's my theory...

·
Got Mis-shift?
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J. Kidd said:
I get that occasionally. Usually on a cooler morning where I get in and just drive. After about a few minutes of normal cruising, I'll blip the throttle to rev-match and I'll get a backfire. I have an ECIS intake and stock exhaust.

I attribute this to the car running slightly richer after initial start up and maintaining that condition while the internals warm up. I then think there is a build up in the exhaust that would go unnoticed if there were no sudden bursts - but that "blip" is enough to force a reaction. Any how, that's my theory...
mine happens even after driving my car on the freeway and rev match when i exit. It sounds like it's coming from the cats....

where do you hear yours?

·
Registered
125 Posts
do you usually drive your car hard? anyhow if you notice the car not driving the same then i suggest you take it in for a check up. if the backfiring isn't that loud and not doing it for long periods of times your car should be ok. usually when one does a exhaust upgrade they experience a little backfire which is normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine happens even after driving my car on the freeway and rev match when i exit. It sounds like it's coming from the cats....

Seems like we have a similar situation: somewhat extended driving/cruising followed by a quick, unrestricted (meaning clutch disengaged) burst from the throttle.

Mine definately sounds like its in the exhaust somewhere - possibily resonator pipes (after the headers and before the muffler, anyway).

The car runs great and I haven't had any issues and/or codes with it...:dunno:

·
Got Mis-shift?
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been driving it hard lately just to see how much oil i consume.

I was driving today and it didn't happen :dunno:

I'll definitely have it checked out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
yeah your better off having it checked out. just to go off topic, my friends 93 rx-7 tt shoots a flame out of the exhaust when he really gets on it. when your driving next to him and he drops it into 2nd or 3rd after about 2 seconds u see a nice orangle glow come out of the exhaust. dont know what that is either, but his car isnt stock.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
Thats is really really hot exhuast fumes. AKA Amazing to see in person.

·
Registered
32 Posts
02White330Ci said:
yeah your better off having it checked out. just to go off topic, my friends 93 rx-7 tt shoots a flame out of the exhaust when he really gets on it. when your driving next to him and he drops it into 2nd or 3rd after about 2 seconds u see a nice orangle glow come out of the exhaust. dont know what that is either, but his car isnt stock.
your buddy probably doesn't have cats. the cats basically scrub the unburnt gas before it enters the atmosphere. basically (no this is if he doesn't have that lame flame kit) unburnt gas + very hot exhaust =FIRE!!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
My car does the same, it sounds normal to me, the last 2 bmw's i had did the same thing after freeway driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts