BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is my first post, long time searcher though.
first off I dive an 02 330 ci and I want a little better exhaust sound, but I'm very worried of getting that whiney rice burner sound (no offense to anybody, I just don't want my baby to sound like a civic). The sound I'm going for is subtle but a bit louder than stock with a nice low grumble. That muscle sound. I don't want anything to loud that may send police my way (don't need any tickets or hassle). I'm on a budget of about 500, I know its not much.

If anybody put anything on a 330 or similar car that would recommend anything, that would be great. And sound clips of recommendations would be awesome.
Thanks in advance for help
Trashcan

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
Put on headers with the stock exhaust. Sounds nice and you'll make a little power.

If you don't care about any performance, my favorite exhaust is the Rogue Ikon. Sounds sexy... especially with headers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is all within the range? I was thinking stock exhaust with headers, maybe free flow cat back, but with stock muffler and no more air flow will that leave the same sound? Performance isn't a big issue, put would be a nice perk. Any links on that exhaust or headers you would recommend?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I usually don't say this,.....search. There is so much good exhaust info on the Driveline forum.

Take a few hours & read away, you'll really get good information.

Then post a new & informed question.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have searched a bit, but not extensively. Sorry. Thanks for the advice guys. Been doing a lot if researching for other things on my car and tried the easy way on this. Just don't have much time until the car show and want the most opinions and best help the soonest

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
You can find a used Ikon for $200ish. I did.

You can find headers for cheap, too. Check out Bimmerbrakes headers.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you can find all that under 500, you must be good luck cause I would never find anything like that lol :woot:

There's no "budget" when it comes to our cars, lets face it. To make the car look, sound, perform well, it requires some money unfortunately lol. IF by any means you find header + exhaust under 500 bucks, you need to take into consideration the installation cost. Unless you can do all the work yourself, you won't find any exhaust setup for your 500 dollar budget. I'd say save up some money until you can afford a nice setup. Id say get BimmerBrake headers + the rouge ikon = roughly 800 bucks + installation which will come to AROUND 1100bucks total. It sounds AMAZING and it's for the consumer that is thinking about a "budget" really. If you just put an "exhaust" on your car, it won't sound like how you want it TRUST me bro. You won't be disappointed by that combo for sure just keep savin your money :thumbup:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't expect both for 500, the headers them selves are about 500. Hopefully a good deal on a used exhaust like put above and ill do all the work myself. So hopefully I can do both for about 700-800, unless I get really lucky, hasn't happened before so I'm not counting on it. Thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I didn't expect both for $500............. and ill do all the work myself........
Forum member wagondude wrote, "Header deal!
I just emailed Anthony at Bimmerbrakes and their headers are available for $240 shipped. Every post I've seen on this forum speaks well of these headers and the price is amazing compared to what's out there that is well made and fits right."

http://www.erzperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OBXEXHAUST-15

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=851643

OP, for a total of $554 shipped you can do this. All new & bolts right up. Based on forum member "jmanfredonia" he says it sounds good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I replaced my stock headers with catless chineses ones 4 years ago.
I paid them $125 including shipping !

They are still perfect. The installation was fearly easy.
The sound is very nice, it is deep but not loud.

Everything else on the exhauste is stock.

NB: I have an AA supercharger on my 330ci

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
OP,

What did you end up doing ?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spent my money on carbon fiber and vinyl and wood to build a custom trunk for a car show

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carbon fiber accessories, and everything else is to build the trunk set up

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished the trunk. Used black velvet instead of vinyl. Very happy with how it turned out

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Links?

no vids sorry, but in my opinion, it's exactly how a 330 should sound straight out of the factory. it is really subtle, and clean. Not really aggressive. perfect for a clean sounding car. Not something you'd want if you want super mean aggressive.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sounds perfect. Now I wish I didn't spend my car budget on all the aesthetics. Maybe in a couple weeks I will get that. Got a link to buy that? And are all magnaflows that would fit my car the same or are there different kinds? Certain ones to stay away from?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts