E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330ci M-sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a vibrant 1148 muffler for my e46 and hadn’t realized that the stock e46 has 2 pipes coming from the resonator to muffler inlet, and my new muffler has just one. The new vibrant muffler has a single 2.5” inlet while stock has 2 2”. I’ll be needing a Y-pipe installed of course. My question is will this translation from 2 pipes to 1 pipe in the new muffler “choke” the car/exhaust up? Also, what should I expect to pay for this custom welding, y-pipe, and mounting brackets at a local exhaust shop?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2004 325i
896 Posts
I recently purchased a vibrant 1148 muffler for my e46 and hadn’t realized that the stock e46 has 2 pipes coming from the resonator to muffler inlet, and my new muffler has just one. The new vibrant muffler has a single 2.5” inlet while stock has 2 2”. I’ll be needing a Y-pipe installed of course. My question is will this translation from 2 pipes to 1 pipe in the new muffler “choke” the car/exhaust up? Also, what should I expect to pay for this custom welding, y-pipe, and mounting brackets at a local exhaust shop?
Thanks!!!
Well, I know that our cars suffer from horrible backpressure through the horrible design of the stock headers, so I imagine restricting the exhaust, even more, would do a lot more harm to the engine. As far as the cost of the welding job, I would say about 500-700 bucks, because it sounds like a lot would need to be done to fit this muffler, when in all reality, it might not be worth it because of the exhaust constriction, one that would be made worse with the already crappy header design. Someone please correct me if this isn't accurate

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330ci M-sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know that our cars suffer from horrible backpressure through the horrible design of the stock headers, so I imagine restricting the exhaust, even more, would do a lot more harm to the engine. As far as the cost of the welding job, I would say about 500-700 bucks, because it sounds like a lot would need to be done to fit this muffler, when in all reality, it might not be worth it because of the exhaust constriction, one that would be made worse with the already crappy header design. Someone please correct me if this isn't accurate
There are so many different opinions when it comes to the whole back-pressure issue, so I’m not sure what to believe. I went down to an exhaust shop today and they quoted be $200 which still seems steep. Hoping to be around $150 to make it worth it.

·
Registered
2004 325i
896 Posts
There are so many different opinions when it comes to the whole back-pressure issue, so I’m not sure what to believe. I went down to an exhaust shop today and they quoted be $200 which still seems steep. Hoping to be around $150 to make it worth it.
Okay, then the shop that did some of my welds before I did my own work ripped me off. But I do know that there is a major constriction at the headers, and that already shoves a lot of exhaust gas back into the cylinders, but I'm not sure how much more constriction will be added by moving the exhaust to a slightly bigger outlet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.