BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2003 325iT 120K miles has both heat shields loose and rattling. I think the rivets ate through the soft aluminum shields. My older 2000 323iT 170K miles shields were perfect even after I removed and changed the head twice. I looked up the part and all years used the same part #11621732969. I thought the M52TU engine has the SS shields and last longer, but RealOEM proved me wrong.

So what you guys do to fix the rattling?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,169 Posts
Bend to a different angle. Usually lasts another year.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
3,051 Posts
High temp aluminum exhuast system repair tape ... Versachem part number 82009.

I cut strips of it and stick it along the top surface of the heat shield. I tried to put the tape directly over the rivets but its actually pretty tough to get it back far enough. Seems to change the harmonics and prevent the rattle, though I've noticed mine is rattling again when cold and on an incline so might need to revist it with more tape.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So maybe my old 2000 323iT engine was so smooth it didn't break the heat shields.

I will try to find a good sized silicone hose, cut it to length and jam the pieces -- acts like spring -- in between the head and the shield, then add some silicone glue to hold them there.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A better solution: drill a small hole near center top edge of the shields, then pull it down with a small spring which tied to something below on the inner fender. It should look good like a factory design.

But then the spring will cut through the hole in a few years again. So I'm back to the silicone hose.

·
Premium Member
2000 328i ZSP Manual
401 Posts
Push some aluminum foil rolled up into a ball in between where the 2 shields meet. That's where the rattling usually comes from. It's worked like a charm for me for almost a decade now.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My new 2003 325iT 120K miles has both heat shields loose and rattling. I think the rivets ate through the soft aluminum shields. My older 2000 323iT 170K miles shields were perfect even after I removed and changed the head twice. I looked up the part and all years used the same part #11621732969. I thought the M52TU engine has the SS shields and last longer, but RealOEM proved me wrong.

So what you guys do to fix the rattling?
View attachment 922166
Buy a rivet gun.

·
Premium Member
2000 328i ZSP Manual
401 Posts
A better solution: drill a small hole near center top edge of the shields, then pull it down with a small spring which tied to something below on the inner fender. It should look good like a factory design.
Thought about that before, even safety wire them together so they dont rattle. Too much trouble unless the head is off or the engine is out IMHO. The foil ball wedged in between the two edges of the shields close to the head is nearly invisible if you do it neatly and costs virtually nothing in parts or time. If you must remove the head or ex manifold in the future, then is the time to replace with new. Which in time, will start rattling again lol.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The foil ball wedged in between the two edges of the shields close to the head is nearly invisible
I like this.

I swear that my 2000 323iT M52TU had the SS heat shield as it is one piece extended from the gasket to shield. They should just extend the SS gasket to the shield instead of riveting the soft aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2000 328i ZSP Manual
401 Posts
I like this.

I swear that my 2000 323iT M52TU had the SS heat shield as it is one piece extended from the gasket to shield. They should just extend the SS gasket to the shield instead of riveting the soft aluminum.
It works man. I check mine every once in a while just to make sure its still sitting snug in there.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Solved problem using genuine BMW part: I had a bad ignition coil recently and replaced it. I pulled the perfect silicone boot off the coil tip (where it covers the spark plug) then cut and used the larger end section to wedge in between the 2 shields, deep in near the head and invisible. Thanks to the aluminum ball suggestion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts