E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm in a dilemna here. I can't decide on an exhaust because I haven't heard any of them in person, just videos.

I have narrowed it down to these choices:

1. UUC Exhaust - it's supposed to come out this month for the E46 M3, I've heard it rocks, regardless of what is said here I'll wait for this to come out before I buy anything.

2. AC Schnitzer Figure 8- haven't heard it yet, looks cool.

3. BB Triflow- sounds great on my M5, the sound on the video is good, and I like the oval tips.

4. Active Autowerkes- looks good, video sounds horrible, they claim 5-7 rwhp gains. Has anyone heard this before?

Chances are I'll add the SS X-Pipe to improve the quality of any exhaust I choose.

Other things I plan to do shortly are:

PSS9s
UUC Sway Barbarians (they aren't out yet, but soon)
Dinan Software
Brembo cross drilled rotors w/ red calipers
Wheels- either iForged Senekas or SSR GT3s or possibly the Hartge classics in chrome
Tires- Michelin Pilot Sports (already have them, next will be S03s)

And then I'm waiting on ESS...looking forward to what the Stage II kit can do...rumor has it 550 HP!!!

Any advice, opinions, etc. would be great! Thanks!

Best regards,

Chris

·
Banned
620 Posts
Daft said:
Looks like you're getting a new exhaust just for the sound note true? i dunno what to suggest then. But for pure performance it's gotta be Eisenmann Meisterchaft Titanium!
That is the only exhaust I would consider! Sure it's expensive as hell, but this is an m3, it deserves only the best.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
UUC all the way...what makes the Eisenmann so sweet (beside the obvious use of Titanium)?

Tim

·
Registered
874 Posts
AA puts a lot of R&D into it...their exhausts are not loud driving around town...you won't really even notice it. But they have a nice, controlled, deep bellow at WOT. And there is no droning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ESS who are they? RMS already has a s/c out, but what is ESS?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
AzN_M5 said:
UUC isn't out yet, but if it sounds as good as the TSE or System U I'm hooked!
If you like the system U you will love the M3 system.

Tim

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I assume you are relatively new to the M3 ownership so....

Just a few pieces of advice. First of all if you want more than 333 hp that is reliable, then go buy another car. M3's are not meant to be ran in any sort of forced induction mode. RMS had one and they dropped the idea fast which is rather smart of them. The E46 M3 motor is too delicate and touchy for anyone to put any sort of big power adder: NOS, Turbo, Supercharger and not get a major trade off in RELIABILITY.

Okay, I take that back, there is one way - SWAP in the M5 motor but besides that there is no other way to get 550 hp like you stated.

As for exhausts, I've owned 3 of the systems you listed and heard all of the ones you mentioned minus the UUC since it has yet to be released. The ACS does nothing for sound and only looks. The Eisenmann sounds deep and loudest by far but has some droning at 2500 rpm in 6th gear under load. Rasp is still there just masked the most with this system. The AA is pretty ugly looking and don't like their sound either. SuperSprint is way too quiet for my taste. That leaves the BB Triflo being the best sounding one of the bunch. It is loud and throaty but has the most punch to it. Rasp is best hidden with this system IMO. However there are 2 negatives: the oval tips are really weak looking and way too far tucked inside the bumper and the hangers have weak welds.

btw, yes the Eisenmann Titanium is light at only 17 lbs (we put one on our friends M3 and she loves it) and it does look bad ass but if you are doing it for the weight, it's not that big of a deal. That's like having 2 bowling balls in the back seat or lose a coupe pounds if you are on the heavy set side.....

hope this info helps,
rick

·
Registered
0 Posts
i dont know if you wanna go with ess tuning. stage one is all bolt on and gives 420hp, stage two is same but they give you new pistons and bearings. unless you really know what youre doing go with race marque.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

I'll probably end up waiting for the UUC and see how that sounds. Otherwise I'll get a triflow and mimic the bigger beast.

As for the welds, yeah I know what you mean about weak, I had them welded on the M5.

As for the forced induction, I'm not sure...my friends 330i works great with the ESS...so I'll see in July.

Getting passed 333 HP isn't my main objective. The suspension is probably the key thing for me right now. Forced induction would be great...if it's reliable. Hopefully, PSS9s and the UUC Sway Barbarians should make it into a rock.

And yes, the exhaust is just for looks and sound. Anything to get rid of that chainsaw like noise.

Best regards,

Chris

·
Registered
167 Posts
they dropped the idea fast? I dont know what you are talking about RMS has doen over 25 s/c on M3s with equal to or over 450 rwhp. I am not sure what you are talking about. and what company is ESS do they have a link or anything?

·
1,240 Posts
Re: I assume you are relatively new to the M3 ownership so....

s4play said:
That's like having 2 bowling balls in the back seat or lose a coupe pounds if you are on the heavy set side.....

hope this info helps,
rick

there went my self-esteem

·
Registered
80 Posts
No matter what exhaust system you put on, it will not get rid of the rasp sound....but then, I love the rasp, louder the better....

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
foofoo11 said:
No matter what exhaust system you put on, it will not get rid of the rasp sound....but then, I love the rasp, louder the better....
You have not heard the UUC exhaust then :D. It isn't called Rasp-X for nothing!

Tim

1 - 20 of 63 Posts