E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys with both exhaust and CAIs... WITHOUT SOFTWARE UPGRADES!!!! do you notice any difference? any proven dyno sheets? Thanks. Please also post what you have.

Again, No software upgrades only. THANKS!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yep, I have a Conforti intake (for now, till the AEM CAI comes out) and an AA exhaust. The power difference is nice, but it was the throttle response that got me---especially when I first installed the intake by itself. The AA made a slight difference, but the car loves to rev now--doesn't feel as "choked."

It wasn't a huge difference, but significant enough that I would do them both again.

Not to mention the nice growl from under the hood and the sweet, tone, roar from the exhaust!

Thinking about software upgrade, but not quite sold on it yet...not sure if I want to mod the car anymore, beyond some wheels and suspension stuff. I'm gonna dive into the world of M Coupe modding instead, i think!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a GruppeM and UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust. No software at the moment although I will probably upgrade to the shark when it's released.

When first installed it seemed as if a software upgrade was needed, throttle response was a bit off at low speed.

I did both the ECM and throttle reset and it seems as if the stock adaptive software has "adapted" now after about 1,300 miles.

Unfortunately I don't have any dynos...but seat of the pants feel and comparison to a stock 325i has clearly shown to me that there is more torque available and the engine pulls much harder particularly above 4,000 rpm. The bonus is it all sounds pretty sweet as well.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
1,766 Posts
lilherc79 said:
Guys with both exhaust and CAIs... WITHOUT SOFTWARE UPGRADES!!!! do you notice any difference? any proven dyno sheets? Thanks. Please also post what you have.

Again, No software upgrades only. THANKS!
When I went to DINAN BMW just a few weeks ago, I was interested in getting just their CAI and then getting the software later on...but the rep for Dinan said that I wouldn't feel any difference if I had just the CAI w/o the software...that they work in tandem and need each other to operate...I thought it was a bunch of BS and the guy just wanted to sell me both parts. :confused:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Re: Exhaust & CAI Combo question...

Believe me it's BS. Basically your ECU is build with tolerance limits in mind of a CAI and low boost supercharger. IF you want to take full advantage of the increased airflow you can add a chip BUT the stock ECU is well developed to adapt to the higher airflow.

Faheem Daddy said:

When I went to DINAN BMW just a few weeks ago, I was interested in getting just their CAI and then getting the software later on...but the rep for Dinan said that I wouldn't feel any difference if I had just the CAI w/o the software...that they work in tandem and need each other to operate...I thought it was a bunch of BS and the guy just wanted to sell me both parts. :confused:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
1,766 Posts
So otherwise, if I just get a CAI, I will see a difference? Dinan BMW said I won't notice anything...and I didn't believe him at the time, though his formula made sense...:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts