E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked multiple times but I haven’t been able to find a proper solution for this if anyone knows more about it let me know.
OK so basically couple days ago I was working on replacing my oil filter housing gasket and then after I was done when I started my car beside the P there was the exclamation mark. I connected my OBD to see if it will tell me anything but almost everyone online is saying that it is transmission related but I get no code from the transmission. I have attached a picture of the code icon and if someone knows please help me.

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,410 Posts
Something isn't right with your connections etc. with respect to the OFH job.
Dumb question, the AFM isn't installed backwards, is it?

The DME and EGS (engine computer/Transmission computer) work together to provide smooth and accurate shifting. We've seen at times a very bad AMM and/or signal can throw a COG of death (exclamation light) light on the dash.
Reason being the data shared between the DME/EGS isn't properly communicating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Download the owner manual and look up the light you see on your dashboard.
This what the manual says. No real information just telling me to take it to the dealer which is the last thing I wanna do.
Font Parallel Screenshot Document Brand

·
Registered
2004 BMW 325ci convertible
181 Posts
I know this question has been asked multiple times but I haven’t been able to find a proper solution for this if anyone knows more about it let me know.
OK so basically couple days ago I was working on replacing my oil filter housing gasket and then after I was done when I started my car beside the P there was the exclamation mark. I connected my OBD to see if it will tell me anything but almost everyone online is saying that it is transmission related but I get no code from the transmission. I have attached a picture of the code icon and if someone knows please help me.

View attachment 938768
I suggest that you get your bimmer up in the air and check the Transmission Fluid Level.

Also check for oil leaks of any kind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your help it was actually the mass airflow sensor that wasn’t working as soon as I changed it the light was gone and haven’t come back in a while. To be honest it’s very dumb that it will show a transmission light on a faulty mass airflow sensor.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,410 Posts
It's actually quite smart.

Driving along like your grandfather, very light with the right foot and the transmission shifts like butter and early.

Get in it and drive it like you stole it, and the transmission shifts late and hard to provide maximum acceleration.

How can this be done in a better manner than pedal position alone?
By monitoring the volume of incoming air and the " load" of the engine is shared on the powertrain bus between the EGS (transmission ) and the DME (engine) computers.

·
Administrator
19,232 Posts
Sorry, I should have explained earlier. Many of us don’t comment on the common things that can easily be found by searching on here.

Your post-03/2003 325i has the MS45.1 DME, which will trigger a transmission fault when the MAF sensor is bad or disconnected. That MAF sensor also has a built-in intake air temperature sensor, hence why you have both faults.

The EGS (auto trans control module) requires the calculated load from the DME over the CAN bus and will trigger a transmission fault when the calculated load is wrong or missing. DME requires the MAF sensor value to calculate the load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.