E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Aight, so I got an M3 recently (pics coming soon), and i decided to keep my 2001 325Ci 5MT and I was very curious on how difficult it would be to swap a 330 motor in there. My cousin owns a body shop and they have a SUPER clean 330 motor off a car that was in an accident and was badly damaged from the trunk till the back seats.

This 330 motor only has about 36,000 miles on it (surprisingly) and comes with a 6-speed manual transmission. Now, my cousin obviously won't charge me for taking that motor and tranny off his hands but he also does not have time to do the swap for me and since I have never done a swap completely by myself, I wanted to know everyone's opinion about me doing this job myself. How hard would it be?

Any thoughts, comments, opinions, and questions are much appreciated. :D

Patrick.

33,347 Posts
you need to swap the driveshaft and if i'm not mistaken the differential output flange for the driveshaft, as they are different lengths

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and please chime in if I missed something) you will need the following to perform the swap:
Engine
330 engine mounts
ECU
EWS module
330 gauge cluster
Swap EWS key "chips"
Throttle cable ???

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would imagine a few tweaks to the wiring harness. If the motor came with the harness, you would probably just have to run some additional wires from the inside out. A schematic would really help to trace what wires are for what.

Other things you might want to look into are compatibility of:

engine/tranny mounts
shift linkage
dme/ecu
axle assembly
wheel hub
driveshaft
differential
reprogramming keys on new dme to start vehicle

I used to do swaps on honda's but Id imagine a bimmer would be a little more complicated. If you have the whole 330i car to salvage, it would be much easier with the simplicity of switching parts for parts with a few tweaks to the wiring. Good luck :thumbsup:

33,347 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Personally I don't see a point in doing all this work. OP you said you just bought an m3. Just use the 325 as a daily driver and if you want to "mod" it just make it look nice/clean and handle well. 325s will never boast performance unless you go down the FI route. Swapping a 330 motor into a 325 shell would require mounts, programming, clusters, drivetrain components, etc...IMHO just it's really not worth all the work.

You just got an M3, enjoy it and drive it when you wanna have fun. The 325 will be good on gas for you + if you want to have fun in it, slap on some good coils, light weight wheels, and track the car.

$0.02 from Steve :hi:

·
Registered
23 Posts
personally i don't see a point in doing all this work. Op you said you just bought an m3. Just use the 325 as a daily driver and if you want to "mod" it just make it look nice/clean and handle well. 325s will never boast performance unless you go down the fi route. Swapping a 330 motor into a 325 shell would require mounts, programming, clusters, drivetrain components, etc...imho just it's really not worth all the work.

You just got an m3, enjoy it and drive it when you wanna have fun. The 325 will be good on gas for you + if you want to have fun in it, slap on some good coils, light weight wheels, and track the car.

$0.02 from steve :hi:
^+1

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
First of all, its a free motor. Just because of that Id do it, AND it only has 36k. Why the hell not? Make it a fun project for yourself and friends.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I don't see a point in doing all this work. OP you said you just bought an m3. Just use the 325 as a daily driver and if you want to "mod" it just make it look nice/clean and handle well. 325s will never boast performance unless you go down the FI route. Swapping a 330 motor into a 325 shell would require mounts, programming, clusters, drivetrain components, etc...IMHO just it's really not worth all the work.

You just got an M3, enjoy it and drive it when you wanna have fun. The 325 will be good on gas for you + if you want to have fun in it, slap on some good coils, light weight wheels, and track the car.

$0.02 from Steve :hi:
I wanna track it but not have it as a daily driver. My m3 is my new daily driver haha just in case a G37 decides to pull up next to me at a light :4ngie:

I know it would be lots of work! like LOTS but also IMO its also very fun. I wanna do something that when im finished, i could take it to willow springs and put some nice numbers up and at the end of the day say, "hey I did that, i made that car pull those numbers." hard to explain but i wanna feel some sort of accomplishment lol. plus i LOVE the e46 and could not imagine getting rid of my first BMW so i wanna make it into something real SPECIAL. so i can store it away and in 20 years, look back at it and say "i RAPPED some nice cars with that" lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First of all, its a free motor. Just because of that Id do it, AND it only has 36k. Why the hell not? Make it a fun project for yourself and friends.
EXACTLY!! that's is what i want to do, have some fun with it!! i think its a great opportunity so might as well go for it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts