BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time lurker here but I've finally been given reason to post:

Just recently acquired an '03 M3 (mt, vert) from a family friend. I've no indication of her past life but she's physically in rough condition. Fluids, however, looked rather fresh-ish with no initial indication of anything remarkable. I towed to my place and figured one of the first things I should try to do is start her up (with a new battery).

Easier said than done if I had a key; proceeded to purchase a spare door/ignition key (grey, $55) from the local BMW dealership. Upon receipt I anxiously attempted to start her up; NO CRANK. I did find out that she only has 67xxx miles on the clock.
Suspect wires were hanging out of the ignition switch terminal. An indication that MacGyver was definitely here:

Long story short, I've determined I need a new EWS as the car doesn't even have one. Cool.
My educated guess is the PO rigged the ignition to bypass the EWS.

Considering I just got a new key, what are my options as far as my non-EWS situation? BMW quoted $200 for a new module. Can I purchase a used EWS and realign with the DME through INPA (I haven't used the software yet but I'm quite confident I can pick it up with no issues). Any input on this is greatly appreciated!

More information:
I get the "beep" (for ~5 seconds) when I switch the ignition to ON/RUN position (indicative of positive communication of key with EWS? Which is perplexing because there is no EWS on-board...?)

- Rod

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,072 Posts
Have you inspected the rest of the electronics to see if anything else is missing or hacked?
Maybe the car was a theft recovery? Just a guess...
Might have to pony up $200 for a brand new EWS from a BMW dealer.

Just ask if you want this thread moved to the M3 forum for M-specific help.

·
Registered
2003 325xi 5spd Manual
820 Posts
Looks to me like someone tried to steal the car and this is the result after the owner got it back. Bought it sight unseen?

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you inspected the rest of the electronics to see if anything else is missing or hacked?
Maybe the car was a theft recovery? Just a guess...
Might have to pony up $200 for a brand new EWS from a BMW dealer.

Just ask if you want this thread moved to the M3 forum for M-specific help.
I haven't traced to where it leads but there was this port hanging under the steering/ignition cluster as well. The car was abandoned and became City property.

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks to me like someone tried to steal the car and this is the result after the owner got it back. Bought it sight unseen?
Aside from EWS-delete this would have been my guess as well, though, per NICB the car was never reported stolen (although it may have been a botched attempt).

I don't mind dropping a couple of notes for a new, programmed EWS, but was just wondering if there are other options considering I just bought a new door/ignition key.

Cheers

·
Registered
894 Posts
I guess I think $200 for a dealer programmed EWS to your car is not all that bad. Particularly if we are talking an M3. I think i read that deleting the EWS is more difficult (less common) in MSS54 than it is in MS43.

I do wonder what else was hacked up. and I would have good look around and size up what else needs to be repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m sure MSS54 DME has EWS delete software. Have you looked for that?
This will probably be the route I'll take. Been reading up on how-to's beginning with BMWFlash. In the meantime perhaps you could move this to the ///M3 sub; maybe the crowd in their will have additional specific input.

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOLVED:

MSS54/HP Delete
  1. Extract partial .bin file from DME using BMWFlash
  2. Modify hex code (I used HxD) by doing a find/replace of 64005a0000 with 64015a0000. Save new .bin file; give it another name to keep the native file.
  3. Reflash the new .bin file using BMWFlash
  4. Proceed to the EWS Connector; jumper pins 1 and 2 (see photos)
  5. Turn key, cross fingers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like someone tried installing an alternative starting mechanism (switch, push button etc).

if you don’t care about the EWS, just some simple wire connections is all you need to start/run the car. PM me if you would like any help. Why waste $200 imo haha

·
Registered
2003 M3 (MT, Vert)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like someone tried installing an alternative starting mechanism (switch, push button etc).

if you don’t care about the EWS, just some simple wire connections is all you need to start/run the car. PM me if you would like any help. Why waste $200 imo haha
Thanks mate - After reflashing the DME with the new ews-delete .bin file and jumping pins 1/2 I was able to get her up and running. Just wanted to close the loop on this for anyone who is interested in performing this modification.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts