BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, these have no connection with the other vendors on this board...just me, ebay, and paypal...Here's my unbiased view of this product...hopefully this will clear a lot of confusion thats been going on...=)

So I bought a set of LED tails off ebay...$280 + $60(trunk lights) + $60 (overnight shipping to the USA) = $400...It really did arrive here in one day but I was missed the mailman that day...Anywhere here it is...the small box is the trunk lights that I told them to add to the order at the last minute...

What's in the package?

Hmmm...I guess they are from eagle eyes...or maybe they copied the logo too...

Here's how it comes...

Back side...held in by a screw not clips like oem...

From Taiwan...maybe they copied the sticker too...or it might really just be from eagle eyes...

Here's the converter...

Side by side comparison...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's the trunk lights...They say DEPO on them...the plot thickens...The red color doesn't match the LED tails...but the OEM bmw ones do...the DEPO ones are a more rich red...

Here's my 2 cents...the plastic that they used prior to 02 on the sedan were just clear corners...then 02+ was something like crystal clear that you seen on the LEDs...anyway I see why people say they don't really match...

What about everything lining up...well if you buy DEPO trunk lights the bottom reflectors match up...

The mysterious missing LED...yes it really is missing...

Infact a whole column is missing on the right...

So why did they not put in a LED? cus they needed to put this mount...

Such an important mount that it wasn't even designed right...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay...stupid design...the top clip hits the circuit board and if you're not careful it'll bend it...thus I just modified the clip...

Here's the LEDs installed with regular clear trunk lights...

Here's the LEDs installed with crystal clear trunk lights...

Here's both flavors...

Now to see if it works...We'll my car is kinda strange...since I am using a 2002 M3 LCM...I can also just program it to accept LEDs...whatever I'll worry about this later...

More and more pix...

It is true that you can't really see the missing LED in pictures...but you can sure see it if you're there in person...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how bright are these lights really...amazingly BRIGHTER than stock!

And here's some more pix just for fun...

Overall, I think these lights are great...a few things to recap...

1. Still no good trunk light option
2. Missing LEDs on the turn signal (Im thinking of drilling them out and making my own)
3. bottom red led's aren't the same curvature
4. I'm missing the USC football game right now...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
not really feeling them....BUT if the LED bulbs were smaller, i think it would look better...:dunno:

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,639 Posts
George props for getting them on your sick ride and the review for all of us. I still dont feel them for sedan...the oem coupe is much better on coupes. I think sedan led dont look right cus of the light up is not curved enough. I know its the way it was design to make the led work. I say go back to regular tails imo. I still love your ride bro..

Charlie

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although they aren't perfect...I would have to say that they do look a lot better in person...good enough that I would never go back to the regular clear tails...On regular tails, the red portion of the assembly never illuminates evenly...where the LED version does...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for clearing everything up mite46!

The sponsors are too busy *****ing about eachother talking ****.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
cool write-up, glad someone took the time to help the others on this board... i personally like the look of the LEDs, its probably because I love the coupe ones... as far as the trunk lights, i think i like the OEM ones better and not just because the color match but because the outer red trim over the white area on them... btw is it me or does ur sedan look more aggressive than ur M in those front pics? the car is coming along real nice... another thing don't wanna bust chops but ur M looks like someones plate fell off in front of u and the grill failed to swallow it

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
:drool: WOW your car is sick!

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Hey MITe46,

Maybe you should point out the "design flaws" and send your recommendations to Eagle Eyes. Jim Powells is obviously doing a poor job at "designing and improving" these LED tails.

Also, maybe you should modify and improve on these LED tails and charge people for the modifications.

Anyhow, good job on the review. I trust your review more than anyone else because it is unbias. I will take your word that it is much better in person.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
so you went with the DEPO inner parts, and not OEM, even tho they dont match?

lookin good tho, and great write up :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Great write up and thanks for answering many questions that I'm sure many of us sedan owners have been waiting for. I guess the only question that I have left is "Is there a trunk light option that ACTUALLY MATCHES"(lines up and color matches?)

-ohh also didn't mean to shout

-A+ write up

-Kern

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Simsima325: I didn't decide to go with DEPO...thats what ebay vendor sent me...He claimed that the trunk lights came from the same factory...which doesn't make sense cus they are DEPO and the tails are eagle eyes...BUT the reflector trim on both match perfectly...HMMMMMMMM...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
From the picture it's pretty obvious the coupe tails are shorter/fatter, while the sedan tails are taller/thinner. Guess that's the reason they ran out of curvature room on the side. It would be better if they shifted the lights toward the trunk or packed the LEDs closer together, but I guess this is as close as we're gonna get on first pass.

In picture #8, is that a big heatsink used to draw current so the LCM doesn't light up warnings?

·
www.dpe-wheels.com
2,244 Posts
very excellent write up as usual, but until something is perfected in regard to LEDs, i think oem clears are still a better solution as they are 100% perfect.

those who insist on LEDs this is a great solution, but for some reason, it would still bug me. perhaps i am just very picky. this is the reason why i went with technik to manufacture a csl style trunk from my oem core because no matter how good the csl trunks out there are, they don't make one 100% perfect in regard to look and fitment as sedans are not supposed to have csl parts fit anyways.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts