E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2001 330' came into my dealership about 2 weeks ago for an oil service. The vehicle had 64,000 miles on it, and the Inspection light was on (due for Insp 2). The first thing I noticed when I cranked the vehicle to pull it around to my bay, was the LOUD clacking sound coming from the engine. I thought I was getting ready to change the oil in an imported diesel e46.

So after talking with the service advisor, I found the customer was aware of the needed service but declined at this time. He just wanted an oil service. I put the car on the lift, and loosened and removed the filter canister. Out of curiousity I pulled the dipstick.

At this point, I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of the oil drain (or doesnt come out). Sure enough I had to knock a couple chunks of oil out of the way so the remnants of the oil could drain. :rolleyes: While that was draining I went ahead and cleaned the canister up, and painstakingly removed the remnants of the filter from the filter housing.

Remember, this car only had 64k on it. When the customer was here, he advised us that we were the only place to touch his car.......he was proud to admit it. With that said I went and checked the vehicle history. The last oil service was performed................during the first service, at 15,000 miles. :idea: Nearly 50k miles on the same oil and filter. To top that off the guy is a lawyer. :hmm:

Anyways, the point of this post is to make sure everyone is at LEAST meeting BMW service intervals. I would personally go no more than 7500 on oil and filter......I think BMW is out of their mind with the 15k intervals. Trust me, this isnt the first vehicle like this I have worked on, and it won't be the last. As a matter of fact, I have seen vehicles that have come in with consistant 15-20,000 mile services and look very similar to this.

Hopefully BMW will realize the laziness of some of their customers, and see how much money they lose each year for this reason. :idea:

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,684 Posts
I changed it at 7500 and 15000. Ive got another 1000 before 30000. I might start changing it more often tho.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Holy ****! That's AMAZING!!! I can't belive what a moron that guy is! That engine is probably done...

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,616 Posts
I knew a kid who in college had a e36 325. The first time he changed oil was at 50k miles. His engine was fried and spewed out more black smoke than a decade old semi. Damn shame. I would never hire that lawyer cause that right there tells me he is not a great one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THATS FRESH said:
:cry: oh it hurts my eyes! they should offer Automotive classes in high school as a requirement.

btw, what camera did you shoot with. nice pics! hehe
Ha, recognize you from Drag.

<-----LXative

Camera is a 300D ( I take it everywhere)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
braymond141 said:
How did the engine run after?
Engine noise was reduced to about half the previous. Still had audible noise from the top of the engine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I change my oil/filter every 5,000 miles since I got the car new. Now I am almost at 15k miles, so have havce changed it 3 times. When do do u suggest i change the air filter or the fuel filter?

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,366 Posts
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: i feel bad for the person who gonna ends up driving that after this dude trades it in .

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
That's how my mother's RX300 looked after about 30,000 miles, even with regular oil changes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
T.L.W. said:
crazy pics

did you try any oil treatments

did you show him the dipstick
I bet the lawyer wouldn't even care if he did show him the dipstick or pictures of the damage done...

I do commend OP for cleaning the chunks out... a lazy bastard would just leave it in there and just add new oil... :)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts