E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Every floor panel wet/leak problems e46 sedan

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Micah247 
#1 ·
Hello all,

So I know there have been beyond multiple threads about leaks or issues with one or so of the floor panels in an e46 being wet, but it's gotten to the point in mine where the drivers floor is soaked, as well as the floor behind the drivers seat and the rear passenger floor. The front passenger floor is damp, but not soaked yet. So I'm figuring I probably have more than one source for my leaks, but I was hoping to find some insight or to come across someone who had a similar situation with all four floor panels being wet and fixed the problem. I currently am in the process of taking my seats out and pulling up the carpeting, which, in all the places I listed, is absolutely waterlogged. Thank you.

#2 ·
Update: underneath the carpeting, the padding is absolutely soaked as well as there being a lake of water on the actual floorboard area beneath that. Thanks again, any help finding the source of the leak or drain issue in all these pales would be appreciated.

#5 ·
I dunno 1st hand, but I recall people saying sunroof drains could be plugged causing all floor areas to be wet, or door vapor barrier could cause it, but to be on all 4 doors would be kinda far fetched, unless all window regulators were replaced at some point and the vapor barriers weren't put back on correctly?

#7 ·
That's what I'm thinking, it'd be a little ridiculous to have all the vapor barriers be the problem. I know one window regulator was replaced but definitely not all four. I'm thinking it must be a problem with the sunroof drains in the a and c pillars. Thanks everyone for the responses, too.

#8 ·
It will almost certainly be the weather membranes in the doors. The bonding strip perishes over time and they start to leak and the water enters the car. If you happen to park on a slightly upward slope the water will run into the back foot wells as well as the front. I think its a terrible design fault. Probably the worst since the first British Leyland minis were designed with the floor to body seams foldede the wrong way round letting rain water into the car every time it rained. Never had this sort of problem on any other vehicle.

#11 ·
Good advice!! The mold can get nasty!! I had a car with T-Tops when I was young that well, always leaked. I eventually had to buy an Ozone generator to battle the mold/mildew(came in handy and I still use it on occasion when my basement in heavy rain gets a little water seepage). You can rent em, or buy some cheapies on ebay for about $150. They do kill it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.