BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,316 Posts
Gary, for upstate NY, which gets a good deal of lake effect snow, which of the two blizzaks would be best? As I recall there's one that's better for slush and **** and the other better with ice, right? Is it worth getting an ice tire when on some ice you're screwed either way? I think I'd mainly be contending with hard packed snow or freshly fallen stuff.

should be ordering in about a week.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Blizzak used to make an Ice tire, the old MZ series which I liked quite a bit. These, according to Bridgestone did 10% better on ice but a bit worse in the snow. They're history though, basically the latest version of the WS-50s being sold today combines all of the winter tire technologies they have to offer.

·
2,316 Posts
so for dry road handling then what are we talking? Equivalent to the all seasons they put on the Xi? Equivalent to a Buick?

Not that I'll be doing much performance driving on snows (and I do plan to have 2 sets of rims for easy swapping just in case there's a run of nice days)...

The reviews on these tires look great. Looks like I'll be down for a set once I figure out the exact car return schedule...

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Depending on the size it could handle more like a buick dude..seriously. The tread compound and tall blocks make them pretty squishy. Its something you notice immediately , but then get used to. What size are you planning on using? I ran 205/60R15 and they handled like Azz on the dry previous years. Just switched to 16" and they're much better. Either 205/55R16 or 225/50R16 would feel much better on an E46 in the dry.

·
2,316 Posts
16s won't cover the brakes. I'd be putting them on 17x7.5 so 225x45x17 would be it.

I just edited after your reply cause I didn't realize how dumb I sounded. If I'm getting snows, I'm going to get the safest ones. From the reviews I read, these are the best by far. One guy said a Z3 with them outperformed a 4wd mountaineer in the snow. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
225/45R17 would handle fine. Thats the size Eddie used last year and he was happy with them overall. The shorter sidewall goes a long way in making them feel better. If you need to use 17" in the snow, I'd go for the WS-50 for sure.

·
2,316 Posts
92 Corolla :)

But yeah, in 2 weeks the 330Ci ought to be back.

Not looking forward to getting it all salty and dirty but today when I pay my rent I am going to at least bargain for the garage space as long as I have to live in this crappy house (trying to move). I decided against keeping the Corolla. It takes too long to get warm, the bimmer heat is quick and also has asswarmers. Very important. As is the fact that the windows are manual and get stuck, and I have to roll them down in the cold to get into the parking garage at work.

It's the little things that make all the difference. Next year is Tampa, most likely, so this car can survive one winter of salt and dirt.

·
2,316 Posts
Looks like a week delay (big surprise) getting my car into the body shop, though at least it's put together and lot drivable. Perhaps next week is order time. There's a 50% moderator discount right? :craig:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts