BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Theres this stuff i bought today that my friend told me about. It's so you can pass inspection if your emmisions are to high. He said he used it 3 times and passed each time.

I'm wondering if it's bad for my car...you dump a bottle into a full tank of gas and drive until it's almost on empty. Then refill and your "guaranteed to pass" or twice your money back. the CO limit is 1.0x and my car gave out a 2.xx.

I'm also wondering if it's going to work for my car. The reason i didn't pass was cause of my exhaust system, i think my post cat sensors need to be switched but not 100%.

anyone use this stuff???

·
pinoyfanatic
9,214 Posts
^^^ that's probably just alcohol...

add a bottle of 98% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to a full tank of gas... drive around till you're 1/2 -1/4 tank and get inspected. Did this in my old beater and passed with flying colors. :pimpin:

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
good point how does this work if anyone can explain?? is it cus alcohol thins out the mixture?? and what are the side effects of running alcohol through the engine??? i think a alcohol mix is used in some race applications but would love some more detail in regards to this.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
higher octane = lower emissions for the most part.

so as long as you run like high octane you should be fine. go find some unleaded racing fuel and put that in your tank before you go for the test.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

so as long as you run like high octane you should be fine. go find some unleaded racing fuel and put that in your tank before you go for the test.
:werd:

as for alcohol, is that even healthy for the engine\fuel injector? what kind of alcohol would you use anyway? :hmm:

·
pinoyfanatic
9,214 Posts

That's exactly what the alcohol does... same effects of higher octane gas.

:werd:

as for alcohol, is that even healthy for the engine\fuel injector? what kind of alcohol would you use anyway? :hmm:

This alcohol idea was suggested to me by a mechanic I knew. He said they did this in their shop all the time when a car fails for emmisions. I used it on an old honda accord I had for a beater. It had 120k miles at the time. Owned it till about 160k then sold it to a coworker. It currently has 240k and still running fine with no issues. He's been using alcohol everytime he gets tested for smog. Had other friends try the same thing who failed for emmision and were all successful thus far with no issues... 4 friends tried it, 4 friends passed. :thumbsup:

As for the type of alcohol... i used 98% isopropyl alcohol. But if you can find 100%, that will be better.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Actually, alcohol has less thermal energy than gasoline. That's why fuel mileage decreases when gas stations switched from gas with the MTBE addititive to gas with ethanol. :str8pimpi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts