E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody went through the European Delivery Option? My brother is thinking about doing the option. I read on this forum's FAQ I quoted

"When ordering a new BMW, the customer can go to Munich and pick up the new car at a showroom within BMW's vast HQ facility. The customer receives a 7% discount off MSRP, full insurance and, later, shipping back to the USA."

So does that mean I get 7% off the US Price MSRP? That'll be so much cheaper than what I pay for my 325i..

If anyone on this forum have went through with the option, could you please share some of your experiences and thoughts about the option?

Thanks

Advantyper

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of people who have taken ED on their BMW's. I'm going to be taking ED of a 2004 330ci in June. Basically, you go to your dealership about 3 months ahead of time and their base price on your car is about 7% lower. Additionally, it's easier to bargain on the ED car because it is not out of the dealer allocation (so kind of like an extra car). Then you pay for the car 1 month ahead of your Germany pick-up date. Then just pick up your car, drive around Germany, then drop it off at one of several drop off points. Your car will be shipped back to the US to your dealership within a few weeks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Can you order a RHD and ship it back here?

·
Registered
196 Posts
albtsang said:
Yes, there are plenty of people who have taken ED on their BMW's. I'm going to be taking ED of a 2004 330ci in June. Basically, you go to your dealership about 3 months ahead of time and their base price on your car is about 7% lower. Additionally, it's easier to bargain on the ED car because it is not out of the dealer allocation (so kind of like an extra car). Then you pay for the car 1 month ahead of your Germany pick-up date. Then just pick up your car, drive around Germany, then drop it off at one of several drop off points. Your car will be shipped back to the US to your dealership within a few weeks.
you can bargain on ED cars?? my dealer said you cant because your not buying the car from them, your buying it straight from bmw. i had thise stupid german guy that told me all these messed up things. im going to go back and talk to a different person.

·
TiAg 330i
544 Posts
yes you can bargain on ED invoice+$xxxx. I got mine for invoice+1200. There are tons of things you should know.

Before heading off to Europe:
1. Make reseveration for BMW factory tour (you can go to all BMW plants, not just in Munchen). If you like, go to Porsche one too.

2. Get maps from AAA, if you don't have Nav.

Must remember:
1. There are 4 keys (2 primary, 1 spare, 1 valet). Never leave any key in the car or lose it. If car is stolen and you cannot provide all 4 keys, insurance won't pay.

2. Don't go outside of western europe, such as czech republic. Insurance won't cover.

3. Break-in period is first 1,200 miles. Below 4000 rpm and 100mph. This really sucks, coz I can't go full blast on autobahn.

4. Never drop off car in Italy, because it will be driven back to Munchen for shipping to USA.

5. If you decide to go to paris, find a hotel outside the city, because the streets are extremely tight and everyone parks bumper to bumper.

Things you may want to buy in Munchen:
1. Euro clears
2. M3 steering wheel
3. Split mirror glass
3. Cloth visors
4. Foldable mirrors
5. Birch wood trim
6. Euro tray

Things to do before drop off:
1. Take front license plate
2. Take all mats
3. Take warning triangle
4. Take first aid supplies
5. Take flashlight in glove compartment
*If you don't, they are likely to be removed at VPC

Just some suggestions:
1. If you want to visit the castles, avoid weekends, because they are packed, and traffic is heavy on those very beautiful scenic routes. Also start driving early, it takes 2-3 hrs to get there.

2. Stay at Renaissance Hotel or Marriott Hotel. They are close to pickup and drop off location. Subway is next to them. Book rooms early to get discount for 21 days in advance.

3. Book factory tour same day as pickup. After pickup, drive to BMW Museum and factory is next to it.

4. Visit Octoberfest park, Marineplaz, etc

5. Drive, drive and drive some more... Traffic in Munchen these days is relatively heavy. Drive in early morning hours or late evening to really enjoy the autobahn.

Click here for my ED pics

·
Registered
196 Posts
thanks, that a lot of stuff i didnt know.
but im not even going to be there to pick it up.
my dad does business in europe often so he will just work it into one of his trips. who know if the delivery if after school ends i will probably go.
and isnt the porsche factory in stuttgurt, acually rather i know its in stuttgurt since i have a porsche. how far is that from munich?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nrm said:
my dad does business in europe often so he will just work it into one of his trips. who know if the delivery if after school ends i will probably go.
and isnt the porsche factory in stuttgurt, acually rather i know its in stuttgurt since i have a porsche. how far is that from munich?
You better make sure that the car will be under his name then. I think one of the stipulations of ED is that the owner of the car has to pick it up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
erin said:

You better make sure that the car will be under his name then. I think one of the stipulations of ED is that the owner of the car has to pick it up.
o trust me it is. a 16 year old with that car......insurance = bad news

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, you can bargain on ED cars... None of the SE Michigan dealers would bargain on ED cars - they said that the discount was the ED discount. Whereas Stephen Kizewic at Yark BMW in Toledo, OH would give me a significant discount of about $2000 under ED MSRP or $1500 over ED Invoice. Yes, I probably could have gotten a few hundred more off by going a little further, but I'm happy with the way things have gone. Despite living about one hour away from Yark, they still consider me within their sales/service area and will pick up the car anytime I need service. Additionally, they will give me a rental car anytime my car needs service.

Nrm said:
you can bargain on ED cars?? my dealer said you cant because your not buying the car from them, your buying it straight from bmw. i had thise stupid german guy that told me all these messed up things. im going to go back and talk to a different person.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies and info about ED.

Could my brother order a ED car and don't go to europe to pick it up and drive to drop off point?

He just want to buy the coupe for invoice or a little over invoice price..he is too busy at work to take a week off.

How long did to total trip last? Usually around how many days are need to finish the whole ED process and drop off..??

Its too bad I didn't went through ED..it would save me some money for rims..:confused:

Thanks for anyones help

advantyper

·
Registered
0 Posts
Could my brother order a ED car and don't go to europe to pick it up and drive to drop off point?
Huh?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but there's a good chance the answer is: :search:

If this is just an English problem then I apologize. But it doesn't appear that you've read the FAQ or put much time into your questions. http://www.bimmerfest.com/faq/eurofaq.html mentions that some people go for just one day. Is that what you're asking?

Matt

·
Registered
220 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No,

the person the car is registered under has to provide a passport to pick up the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ak330i said:
3. Break-in period is first 1,200 miles. Below 4000 rpm and 100mph. This really sucks, coz I can't go full blast on autobahn.
--->Don't forget to vary the RPM's as well.

ak330i said:
Things to do before drop off:
2. Take all mats
4. Take first aid supplies
I believe you can leave the floor mats. If you take the first aid supplies, be sure to remove the scissors before getting on the plane -- you can have the hotel help you mail them back to yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nrm said:
As mentioned, the person picking up the car in Germany must be the person who bought/leased it...

As far as the Porsche factory, I believe they only have tours at specified times in the year so if you really want to see it, look into the avialability. Stuttgart is about two hours driving time from Munich.

·
Registered
87 Posts
330iGt said:
Just know, leasing a car through ED is not a good idea, because you pay about 2 months that you can't use.
That just means that he will have to put two months worth of mileage on the car before he drops it off. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts