E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent really found a straight answer to this question. So will euro s50 cams and solid lifters fit in an M54? I assume the cams and trays would at least need some modification, even then, I have doubts because the s50 shares more in common with the s54 than the M5x engines. :hmm:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nope. Unlike the NA S50/S52 which are closely related to the M50 and M52, the Euro S50 (both the 3.0 and 3.2) has a completely different head design.

·
:D
7,622 Posts
Nope. Unlike the NA S50/S52 which are closely related to the M50 and M52, the Euro S50 (both the 3.0 and 3.2) has a completely different head design.
There's no North American s50. Just the s52.

·
7,622 Posts
Yes there is. The 93-95 US M3 had the S50B30US (based off the M50). In 96 the engine was changed to the S52B32 (based off the M52).
Really? ITB and all?

·
7,622 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Schrick does sell a solid lifter conversion kit for the M5X motors
Yes, Ive looked into the kit. I believe its $274 from Turner motorsports.
Ill probably end up getting some cams reground for solid lifters.

·
7,622 Posts
What are the pros of the kit? Higher redline?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes. They allow you to use hotter cams and run at higher RPM. There really isnt a point to running solid lifters and a higher redline unless you have head work.

which I will :4ngie:

·
7,622 Posts
Yes. They allow you to use hotter cams and run at higher RPM. There really isnt a point to running solid lifters and a higher redline unless you have head work.

which I will :4ngie:
what are you getting done?
who's doing it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Myself in autoshop class. With help from my instructor of course. Theres not a whole lot of meterial to work with so it'll mainly just be a good polish and a port match to an S54 itb adapter Im fabing up.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Staying with the 2.5l? In this case it'd better if you do. 3.0l M54s are hopeless at 7k+

·
7,622 Posts
Myself in autoshop class. With help from my instructor of course. Theres not a whole lot of meterial to work with so it'll mainly just be a good polish and a port match to an S54 itb adapter Im fabing up.
Are you going to have it flow tested to see if its actually better than stock? Plan on upgrading injectors and fuel pump? Plan on a tune?
This could turn out to be a good time.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The M54 head in general is hopeless after 7k. It simply doesn't flow enough.
Well, that too. But I was thinking more about the motor self-destructing due to vibration.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts