BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first ET replacement last week. The old ET was difficult to remove and I ended up using a small jack to push it up and off. There was a plastic ring on the retainer portion of the assembly. Possibly a compression ring? I don't know.
What I do know is that the new ET would not go on with the ring installed. Once I removed this plastic ring, the ET popped in to place just like all the 30+ videos I've watched on the subject.
After completing the fill and bleed procedure, I had no leaks. I have been checking the fluid level daily for the last 7 days, and there has not been any fluid loss. Temp gauge rock-solid in the middle.
I have attached pics of the ring. I'm hoping someone will have some insight as to what this was. Perhaps it came off the old ET?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I did my first ET replacement last week. The old ET was difficult to remove and I ended up using a small jack to push it up and off. There was a plastic ring on the retainer portion of the assembly. Possibly a compression ring? I don't know.
What I do know is that the new ET would not go on with the ring installed. Once I removed this plastic ring, the ET popped in to place just like all the 30+ videos I've watched on the subject.
After completing the fill and bleed procedure, I had no leaks. I have been checking the fluid level daily for the last 7 days, and there has not been any fluid loss. Temp gauge rock-solid in the middle.
I have attached pics of the ring. I'm hoping someone will have some insight as to what this was. Perhaps it came off the old ET?
All coolant system seals are o rings. The ET has two at the bottom. The upper hose has three. The mounting plate has one. Those are the only parts involved in an ET job. So that seal is not part of the cooling system. It may have fallen down there during a previous uncoolant related job although I can't think of anything else that uses a seal like that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Its the locking ring that keeps the O ring in position. All the connections have one. If it were not there when you went to push in the connector the O ring would simply slide back out of the way into the pipe. This lock ring stops that from happening and makes sure the O ring stay where its supposed to.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Its the locking ring that keeps the O ring in position. All the connections have one. If it were not there when you went to push in the connector the O ring would simply slide back out of the way into the pipe. This lock ring stops that from happening and makes sure the O ring stay where its supposed to.
There is no detachable "lock ring" on either the top hose or the ET.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
There is a rubber seal that looks very similar to that in size and shape in the ET pressure cap. It seals the ET from atmosphere. It shouldn't be able to come off the cap without some assistance. You could check your cap I suppose. But it is more than likely an old one that someone removed from an old cap and dropped there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
They all have an O ring retainer of some sort. I pulled the retainer ring out of the small bypass connection of the top rad hose and have images of that, unfortunately, there is no way to upload images onto the site. Sometimes they get loose and can drop out. I've had that happen a few times.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
There is no detachable "lock ring" on either the top hose or the ET.
Every connection there is one of this thing to keep the o-ring in place, either the tank bottom of other hoses connections. Normally this thing is glued or welded to the part to form the groove for the o-ring. It is part of the manufacturing process that engineer choose to create the groove this way instead of making the mold for the groove which is more challenging. This thing may broken loose when too much force needed to pull the connection apart.

Without this thing the o-ring will be pushed out under pressurized coolant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I would have kept the old hoses to take a look at them, I threw them away already.
Seeing as how I haven't lost any coolant, and it's driven daily, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and assume that everything is OK.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I would have kept the old hoses to take a look at them, I threw them away already.
Seeing as how I haven't lost any coolant, and it's driven daily, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and assume that everything is OK.
Did you say you found this on the bottom radiator tray port where it connected to the tank bottom hole? I believe this thing only used on the hose and the tank has the casting groove already and does not need this thing to form the groove for the o-ring.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you say you found this on the bottom radiator tray port where it connected to the tank bottom hole? I believe this thing only used on the hose and the tank has the casting groove already and does not need this thing to form the groove for the o-ring.
I went looking for a picture online to answer you better, and I think I found the answer.
If you look at the picture I posted just now, I believe the piece I'm talking about is right there under the O-Ring. It appears its function is to hold the O-ring in place. Since my ET took a bit of force to come out, I think this broke off in the process.
Mystery solved? what do you think?

Attachments

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,792 Posts
I went looking for a picture online to answer you better, and I think I found the answer.
If you look at the picture I posted just now, I believe the piece I'm talking about is right there under the O-Ring. It appears its function is to hold the O-ring in place. Since my ET took a bit of force to come out, I think this broke off in the process.
Does the ring have the damage around 70% of one side of it where it would have broke off the tank? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pic that it is a separate part (ring) or the tank was casted with the groove. I know for sure all hoses have this ring welded or glued on to form the groove.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I cracked it when I was removing it. If you tap it down slowly on one side you can get it out without breaking it. You can see the outer edge of the ring is not broken, still has the factory edge. I had a few fall out on their own last year when I did the CS repairs.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
To avoid breaking this keeper ring thing, lube the o-ring and its mate with brake grease or synthetic grease so next time it's easier to remove the connection.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Every connection there is one of this thing to keep the o-ring in place, either the tank bottom of other hoses connections. Normally this thing is glued or welded to the part to form the groove for the o-ring. It is part of the manufacturing process that engineer choose to create the groove this way instead of making the mold for the groove which is more challenging. This thing may broken loose when too much force needed to pull the connection apart.

Without this thing the o-ring will be pushed out under pressurized coolant.
They are not locking "rings" they are silver, U shaped metal spring clips that look nothing like the picture. That's what we are discussing here isn't it? The black ring that the OP posted.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The silver snap lock is to lock the fittings to each other, the plastic lock ring locks the O ring inside the housing. The housing are either cast or injected when they make them. Since the O ring sits in a grove behind the lock ring, there would be no way to get the part out of the mold if they cast the ring as part of the mold, since the grove is behind the ring. That's why they have to add the locking ring after the O ring goes in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts