E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I understand from ESS website and from Safar, that the new ESS twinscrew supercharger kit does not have an alternative CAI.

I understand that non supercharged cars gain a few HP by replacing the BMW CAI with other, better flowing CAIs. I was wondering if the same is true for the ESS TS2 kit (non M3)...

I guess there are 3 things to consider:

- Noise reduction/gain (i rather have the supercharger running as quiet as possible, and reduce the whining as much as possible)
- Gain in performance - if any
- Cleansing of the air. In the end it does filter the air as well and that should not be compromised. Maybe the supercharger especially had to make sure no dust enters the system ?

Of course i'm keen to hear which better CAI's are on the market in combination with the ESS kit, or hear that indeed BMW's original filter is the way to go...

I was wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts about the matter....

greetings,

Dub

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,458 Posts
ESS stated that they gained more power using the stock factory intake that draws cool air from headlight and in front of the kidney grill..

im sure it will sound louder..but the stock airbox give it a better overall visual package.. I think they were looking for less turbulent ways of delivering air and stock box was perfect for it.

there are no too many hp gains with just an intake.. i think 6rwhp off a dyno was achieved with a short ram and and software for NA cars..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the update. It surprises me a bit, but i guess the S/C sucks harder than a hooker in the red light district, so any restriction the stock filter may have is no longer a problem.

greetings,

dub

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
1,643 Posts
Like MachRc said, there are no real gains when you use a CAI with the ESS TS. I have an ECIS CAI that I used before I put my TS on. I use it now with the TS only for the sound, I love to hear the TS whine!:pimpin: If you want your TS to be as quiet as possible, use the stock air box. You can also help the box breath a bit better but cutting a 2" hole in it some where near the bottom front. I did that when I first installed the stock air box with the TS.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dirtboy, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't the hole of 2" compromise the filter part of the CAI ? Someone mentioned that with a S/C you don't want dust to enter your engine or S/C ?

greetings,

Dub

·
Registered
820 Posts
you cut the 2" hole in the airbox before the filter element. Indeed cutting it after (I.e. at the top of the airbox) would mean unfiltered air gets into the s/c and the engine. We don't want that.

Btw even with the stock airbox the ts is clearly audible (radio off). So unless you want everyone else to hear it too I woulndt touch the airbox.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Safar, thanks for that. I know you wouldn't have mind it slightly quieter either.... But does the hole make it less whiny ?

Do you know anyone else in holland with a TS2 on a non M series BMW ?
I'm wondering if i'll be the first if i build it in my compact 325ti....

greetings,

Dub

·
Registered
729 Posts
Cleansing of the air. In the end it does filter the air as well and that should not be compromised. Maybe the supercharger especially had to make sure no dust enters the system ?
I recall ESS mentioning the potential problems associated with gauze filters and their required oil. Air metering problems can occur if the oil gets on the MAF elements.

I've tried to coax 1-2 HP out of various mods such as underdrive pulleys, CAIs, etc. In my opinion, the small HP gain is not worth the price and problems they can potentially create.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again. fmzip, you proved again that one pic says more than 1000 words, great !

Y'all convinced me to stick to standard intakes.
greetings,

dub

1 - 10 of 10 Posts