E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally had time to go back to the dyno and tune the meth kit.... we were tuning the meth kit to the car, no DME adjustments were made.

After about 1 hour of tuning we made an average of 40-45whp through the upper rpm range.

Meth kit is a simple single nozzle AEM meth kit, we made more power with this simple kit than we did with a complicated direct port labonte system with all the electronic controllers/goodies.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How do you tune the meth if no DME changes were made? Did you just test out the three nozzles that AEM provided?
You tune the meth progression rate and volume. Cooler charge + octane + added timing that the DME adds automatically due to the octane = power.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You tune the meth progression rate and volume. Cooler charge + octane + added timing that the DME adds automatically due to the octane = power.
Correct since ESS puts the AIT sensor right at the manifold inlet it'll adjust accordingly, not all kits install the AIT sensor after the cooler so results will be different.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am impressed with the results. Two questions tho.

Was the injector placed pre or after intercooler? And did you by any chance log or loook at the IAT difference from before and after?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Correct since ESS puts the AIT sensor right at the manifold inlet it'll adjust accordingly, not all kits install the AIT sensor after the cooler so results will be different.
I wonder how it is on the ESS twinscrew kits. The twinscrew and cooling cores are very close together. Another twinscrew owner put it on the TB but that is before the air is heat up from compression.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am impressed with the results. Two questions tho.

Was the injector placed pre or after intercooler? And did you by any chance log or loook at the IAT difference from before and after?
Nozzle is located after the intercooler.

I didn't log AIT's but I could if I had time... Between customer cars and my personal car I don't have too much time to do everything as I want to.

Very nice. Good and safe!

Have a before and after dyno overlay you'd be willing to share? :)
That's coming soon, we used 2 different laptops from my baseline to now when operating the dyno so we need get the other file from our friends laptop.

I wonder how it is on the ESS twinscrew kits. The twinscrew and cooling cores are very close together. Another twinscrew owner put it on the TB but that is before the air is heat up from compression.
Are you talking about James' car? Blk zhp with TS2 and M3 trans/rearend? Is so we setup his aem meth kit as well.

With the TS2 kit there is not too many options for injection locations, we discussed everything and the TB (after the throttle plate) is the best location just incase you need easy access to it for servicing or whatever.

The meth sprays very fine and gets mixed into the air so you can still feel the difference with the meth in that location even though it goes through the blower/cooler.

Tip: Use the smallest nozzle, anything larger will cause the car to bog.

·
Registered
828 Posts

I didn't log AIT's but I could if I had time... Between customer cars and my personal car I don't have too much time to do everything as I want to.

That's coming soon, we used 2 different laptops from my baseline to now when operating the dyno so we need get the other file from our friends laptop.

Are you talking about James' car? Blk zhp with TS2 and M3 trans/rearend? Is so we setup his aem meth kit as well.

With the TS2 kit there is not too many options for injection locations, we discussed everything and the TB (after the throttle plate) is the best location just incase you need easy access to it for servicing or whatever.

The meth sprays very fine and gets mixed into the air so you can still feel the difference with the meth in that location even though it goes through the blower/cooler.

souns like this is said from experience.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

Yes, I'm talking about James' car. The black ZHP that had the AEM meth kit installed at RennSpec. However, the benefits aren't as good as yours right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
souns like this is said from experience.
I've been working on cars for quite a while... I don't know everything but what I do know I don't mind sharing.

Yes, I'm talking about James' car. The black ZHP that had the AEM meth kit installed at RennSpec. However, the benefits aren't as good as yours right?
Well we don't know that since he never went back on the dyno... the car is definitely faster b/c now he doesn't have traction til late second gear, without the meth he can get it to hook up at the top of first gear. I wouldn't mine tuning his meth to see what kind of number we made.... I would like to say atleast 8-10% more power.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Well we don't know that since he never went back on the dyno... the car is definitely faster b/c now he doesn't have traction til late second gear, without the meth he can get it to hook up at the top of first gear. I wouldn't mine tuning his meth to see what kind of number we made.... I would like to say atleast 8-10% more power.
Maybe I should install it and have you dyno tune it. :thumbsup:

I assume you had the meth tank in the trunk and ran the meth lines under the car alongside the fuel line to the TB connection?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does the kit come with different nozzles? I will be installing an ESS TS2 soon and wanted to make sure the meth addition will be noticeable. You suggest the AEM kit right?

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

·
Registered
324 Posts
First of all thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience with this comunity. :clap:

Can you enlight me a bit about the meth kit:

Is that gains with 91AKI + meth or water/meth? I believe that the meth kit increase the AKI rate of the fuel, but how much with your rate of progression and mix?

If you use a different AKI rate, do you need to tune again the meth?

What is the max AKI that the ESS production tune can process, and at what point it start to decrease power?

Is it dangerous to the engine reability?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts