E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently installed a ESS TS1 kit on my '02 325i auto. This is the only performance mod done to the car. I drove the car soft for the first 100 miles as recommended, and it didn't feel too impressive. Understandably so, because I wasn't really throttling it hard. After 100 miles or so, I started to full throttle the car for a few seconds at a time. It would accelerate faster than before, but not as strong as I expected for an additional (advertised) 100 hp. The low rpm torque was noticably stronger than before, but again not as impressive as I expected. The installation was completed on 3/1/11, and today is 3/8/11, so it's been only a week. I have about 300 miles after the install, and it seems that every day it's a peep stronger than before. I know it's hard to relay how the car feels, and how much a peep is, but I just wanted some feedback from twin screw owners. I just ordered a boost/vacuum gauge to help verify everything is working properly, and I will do a dyno session eventually. But in the meantime, is it normal for the power to "creep up" to full power over time (supercharger breaking in)? Or is it the CPU learning the new software? Anyways, I just want to know if others experience this, and if it's normal.

Thank you!
...greg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didn't have any issues at all. I made sure I cleaned every single port, throttle body and icv. I tried to do a break in period but only lasted 100 miles before I pushed it.

Definitely get a boost gauge. That's the first thing I did before starting the car. I want to ensure I had the boost just in case I had to troubleshoot.

Also with stage 1, what are you comparing it too. Get a dyno to get a range

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I felt an immediate and huge difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I guess I expected more of an immediate and huge difference as bigjae1976 did. My only experience with a supercharger was on my cousin's '87 Corolla. After installation, we did a test drive. He hit the throttle in first gear, and we were both looking at the headliner! We were laughing the whole time! But that was a rather torqueless engine to begin with, and it did only weigh 2300lbs, and a stick. So maybe I expected too much? But anyway, I drove my BMW again today (remembering how it felt stock) and it is definately faster than stock. I guess i was scared i did something wrong! The power came on so gradual, over the past week, I probably got used to the torque. So it feels pretty good now, actually! But I will check my boost psi, and do a dyno session for sanity's sake!

Thanks again for the input!
...greg

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Actually...I bought mine used so I can't comment on the break-in.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The reason it's not what you expected is because you have an automatic transmission. My friend has a twin screw 330xi Auto and he swears it's really fast. It's fast for being an auto (awd too), but it's not fast.

Automatic 3 series are terrible cars to mod... even the E36 M3 Automatic (the few that were made) are also terrible to mod. Also keep in mind the automatic transmission takes the fun and thrill out of driving. You might be going a lot faster than you think, but the sense is gone.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
congtr on getting blown and i suggest like the other bro suggest

to you get a dyno done and have them fine tune the s/c..... you should tune the car on the dyno to set the engine up with the addition to the blower.... to make sure very thing is running wright....
bob :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigjae1976 - Makes sense, my cousin's s/c was used also, so it just made a bunch of torque right off the bat, no break-in (Huge wow factor!).

braymond141 - Yeah, I kinda suspected the auto would kill some torque. I agree it's not considered "fast" but much better than before. My car would most likely run 15's, possibly 14's with the extra 100hp. Not bad, but not great either! ;) I chose the s/c because it's the best bang for the buck (and good low end torque), and the fun factor went up a few points! Yeah, other mods are so expensive for very little hp, that's what made me go s/c.

bobm3 - Thanks! I kinda like being blown! Haha! Will do on the dyno session, sound advice.

Thanks guys!
...greg

·
Registered
198 Posts
I took it easy with the sc for about 300 miles, i didn't push the throttle beyong 4000 RPM. But i did sneak it one push and i felt immediately a huge difference. I did dyno my car at instalaation. I have a TS2 by the way.
I would contact ESS if you're not certain.

What also helps is simply measure things. Dyno it will help, but easier do a 0-62 pull, your 325 does it stock in just over 7 seconds, now you should be very close to 5. But do give it the break in period as recommended by ESS.

Greetings,

dub

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It is normal for the car to gradually gain power over the first few hundred miles as the ECU adapts and blower breaks in. It should however have a major impact on performance even right of the bat. The difference 325 stock vs 325 TS1 is very significant, much more so than going from a stock 325 to stock 330.

Try doing a few full blast acclerations to redline. If it is not a very noticeable difference from stock I would check boost pressure, and if that was as specified I would install a new MAF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!
Well it seems that the car feels pretty strong now, I imagine it would dust a stock 330i! And the low end torque is very good too. I have also installed a Sprint Booster yesterday, and this thing just makes the engine response perfect! I tested it with my "ass-dyno" and at full throttle I can't tell the difference (I know it doesn't add any hp). But the part throttle response makes this car even more fun to drive! But even with the Sprint Booster off, I can tell the engine is strong pulling till redline. I just received my boost/vacuum gauge, so that will be going in this weekend.
Anyway from day 2 to now (day 10), there's a big difference in power (I can actually spin the tires!). It felt exactly like [email protected] explained, the ECU is adapting to driver inputs. So, that means I will be doing more full blast accelerations to redline to help it! Haha!
Thanks guys, I think it's going to be alright after all! My car is now officially "fun to drive!".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts