BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my invoice from Asbjorn full two months after my order and got charged $79 for a contitech belt that fits the ESS VT supercharger. Shipping was $95 to Japan. Okay, shipping is cool even if it's $95, but the belt for $79???? WTF? Those who are considering any kits from ESS, remember that if you break anything like a belt, be ready to get ripped off. I don't know about you guys, but $79 for a belt is just f_cking ridiculous. I sent two PMs and I got an invoice instead two months after my request. I know I can't do anything about it now, but I am at the will of ESS people when it comes to replacement parts. I'm very happy with their kit, but this is just crazy. $79 for a replacement belt made by contitech. :censor: :censor: :censor:

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,755 Posts
how much are stock belts? Im sure you can replace the belt without ordering it from ESS.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belts are $25 at autozone, even cheaper sold by bimmerbum on ebay. I called and gave them the belt #, that PKXXXX thing. Maybe ESS belts have platinum fibers embedded in them for strength. That would explain the extra $50. Or they operate on a super high profit margin for parts, so they can offer great deals on the complete kits. Don't want to think of other supercharger companies, but $79 for a replacement belt...wow...

Don't get me wrong, I think ESS is a good company, but I hate feeling like a hostage to their replacement part prices. I need new ESS pulleys, too. What are they gonna charge me for those? $200 + 100 shipping? I'd rather live with the bearing grinding for now. Can you respond to this ESS/Asbjorn?

·
Banned
924 Posts
Shipping to Japan would have to go air so it does cost quite a bit more than within the same country

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shipping to Japan would have to go air so it does cost quite a bit more than within the same country
Yeah, I think the shipping charge is legit. FEDEX services cost $$$ by air going overseas. But the belt price:hmm: I bet ESS thinks I like to just b!tch and complain, but it doesn't help that I get ignored. Maybe if I had bought a new TS kit and spent $5000, they'd be more attentive. But if I tell the whole story from the beginning...shall I say how many emails I had to send to get this $79 belt to me? I guess they could have just emailed me the contitech belt# instead...and...and... whatever. I can live without $79 when I've spent over $8000 in mods alone, but I don't like the way ESS does business like that.

·
Europrojektz Southeast
1,420 Posts
I bought a replacement belt (Gates brand) thru one of my company vendors. He ordered it for me thru Nappa with his discount. I remembered buying fourty something for it so $79 does not seem that expensive. It was over a yr ago. I know that I can go with a cheaper belt but why risk it.

Regarding the pulley, just get the OEM one thru our sponsor and then have a machine shop mill out the back portion. That's what I did. Matter of fact, I re-use one of the pulleys that I took off when I install my setup. You need to buy the one where the hole is not center. GL

·
www.my330i.com
1,912 Posts
You can get ContiTech belts at almost any auto parts store. I went and bought an extra one for my first VT kit just to have an extra laying around and paid for it myself. The sizes are printed right on them 6PK_ _ _ _ (the 4 digit length in mm). Heck, I think I had to buy another one when I added UD pullies.

While $79 is not cheap for a belt, the cost for everything in Norway is simply ridiculous. I doubt they are gouging, simply not losing money on it. Hence why they are building a shop in the US. Everything is cheaper here. Good for everyone!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Silver330CiMan:

You purchased an older, used ESS VT1 kit, and we have given you full free installation help, we have sold you the ESS VT1 MS43 software at 80%(!!) discount and we even gave you our full FedEx discount on both shipments going to you. Retail FedEx express to Japan was USD 150ish on the belt/bolts/spacers shipment.

I checked your order details, and this is the full truth of what you got for the 79USD:

-2X ContiTech drivebelts

And instead of a discount on the belts we gave you for FREE:
-Complete VT1 bolt kit with all VT1 spacers
-Complete fuel rail installation kit w/spacers

I honestly think this is quite a good deal since we actually lost around USD 20 on the entire transaction with you, not even including all the free support we have given you.

If you do not want the parts, feel free to return them for a full refund.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy there Asbjorn,

Free support/installation help? Uhh, do you pay Marvelphx and my330i.com? I asked basic questions: type of injector, type of pulley, belt routing (Marvel's site was down). Also, Marvel answered more questions than the PMs you took days to answer. My God. What are you trying to pull here? ALL other PMs/Emails/questions were on tracking #, shipping date, shipping, shipping, shipping. Used kit or not, how would you feel if you had your engine flopped open and the delay is with parts?
Fine, you sent me two belts; two DIFFERENT size belts. But you know for a fact that I can only use one belt. Why would you send two different size belts when I specified I have a 7psi 3.33 inch pulley for a 330ci vortech kit. I asked for one. Don't try to be a saint and tell the board members that you generously sent me two when I can use only one of them. Hello???
Free bolts and spacers were promised only after Hans at ESS delayed shipping and didn't answer my emails for over a month. He felt bad about the delay and told me I'd get them free of charge. Shall I post some emails here on the board?

Like I said, I'm happy with the kit. I just wanted a simple explanation on the price of the belt. And I dont think it was explained. Instead, you accused me of wining and complaining about a great deal I got for the DME programming and extra free stuff. Hey, is it my fault that one of ESS's employees decided to quote me $100 for DME programming? Hello??? You guys are starting to sound rude and obnoxious. So what if it's a use kit? Don't dealers service and sell parts for a used car? Please don't bash USED part users on this forum as many people buy second hand items, including ESS kits. I NEVER ask for free stuff. I just wanted prompt/customer friendly service. And now, the tone of your post is starting to piss me off.
Silver330CiMan:

You purchased an older, used ESS VT1 kit, and we have given you full free installation help, we have sold you the ESS VT1 MS43 software at 80%(!!) discount and we even gave you our full FedEx discount on both shipments going to you. Retail FedEx express to Japan was USD 150ish on the belt/bolts/spacers shipment.

I checked your order details, and this is the full truth of what you got for the 79USD:

-2X ContiTech drivebelts

And instead of a discount on the belts we gave you for FREE:
-Complete VT1 bolt kit with all VT1 spacers
-Complete fuel rail installation kit w/spacers

I honestly think this is quite a good deal since we actually lost around USD 20 on the entire transaction with you, not even including all the free support we have given you.

If you do not want the parts, feel free to return them for a full refund.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
:popcorn: There are always 2 sides to a story. At first I thought the OP was a jerk not mentioning that he was sent 2 blets. Then the story is only one belt is usable.:hmm: , so he wasnt being shady. Personally, I dont know why the shipping was that expensive. Unless you needed it ASAP, regular air 7days would have been cheaper, no?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
silver330ciman:

I do not mean to come across harsh. If that is the case, I apologize.

We sent you two different belts because there are two bracket versions of the VT kit you purchased. Since you couldn't tell which version you had since it was used, we sent both sizes to be sure, but can not do so for free. You are welcome to use the belt that fits and return the other for a full refund (You were charged $39.50 per belt for $79 total). We will even refund the shipping to send it back. We just wanted to make sure you had the correct belt. You were not charged for the bolt/spacer kit at all. As for the DME, you were quoted $100 in error and we honored that error as normal price is $499.

We try to support the older out of production kits as best as possible, but some parts have to be made as they are no longer stocked. If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

Easy there Asbjorn,

Free support/installation help? Uhh, do you pay Marvelphx and my330i.com? I asked basic questions: type of injector, type of pulley, belt routing (Marvel's site was down). Also, Marvel answered more questions than the PMs you took days to answer. My God. What are you trying to pull here? ALL other PMs/Emails/questions were on tracking #, shipping date, shipping, shipping, shipping. Used kit or not, how would you feel if you had your engine flopped open and the delay is with parts?
Fine, you sent me two belts; two DIFFERENT size belts. But you know for a fact that I can only use one belt. Why would you send two different size belts when I specified I have a 7psi 3.33 inch pulley for a 330ci vortech kit. I asked for one. Don't try to be a saint and tell the board members that you generously sent me two when I can use only one of them. Hello???
Free bolts and spacers were promised only after Hans at ESS delayed shipping and didn't answer my emails for over a month. He felt bad about the delay and told me I'd get them free of charge. Shall I post some emails here on the board?

Like I said, I'm happy with the kit. I just wanted a simple explanation on the price of the belt. And I dont think it was explained. Instead, you accused me of wining and complaining about a great deal I got for the DME programming and extra free stuff. Hey, is it my fault that one of ESS's employees decided to quote me $100 for DME programming? Hello??? You guys are starting to sound rude and obnoxious. So what if it's a use kit? Don't dealers service and sell parts for a used car? Please don't bash USED part users on this forum as many people buy second hand items, including ESS kits. I NEVER ask for free stuff. I just wanted prompt/customer friendly service. And now, the tone of your post is starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Asbjorn,
Thank you for the explanation. That's all I wanted. And like I said I love the kit, and I'd vouch for ESS on the solid engineering of the kit anyday. You know that. On the other hand, a bit better communication between ESS parts department and myself could have avoided all this. Not just for me, but if any ESS customers needed spare parts for different versions of your kit, I think it'd be nice to have better access to order them. Maybe a page on your website with list of parts? I do plan to get that TS later :shhh: Douglas Ngo: Thanks for the tip on that pulley mod.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats a pretty friggin dope deal on software. id take that and the 79 dollar belt and call it a good day.
Yeap, that's how I feel about it now, looking back at the posts and how awesome the supercharger kit is. Hey, I got lucky on the DME deal. But the delay in shipping and lack of communication was what prompted me to start this thread. I still would have paid $499 if I was quoted that since the kit was already in my hands. All in all, I am extremely happy with the kit. My god, I've never felt so much power before ever. Imagine what that TS must be like. This is one of ESS's first kits, and I love it. Don't know if TSE3, plasma coils make a difference, but everything seems to work great. I just can't praise the kit enough.

Now that I got the explanation and having read the posts from other fanatics, I feel like a jackass, too. But I think I had some valid points from my perspective. Heck, I am an impatient SOB sometimes and have anger management issues. At least I admit my faults, right? :eeps: At any rate, the belt price issue is closed.

ESS/Asbjorn,

I sent you an email/PM about the CARB sticker on this kit if you could sell/send me one. I'm starting to think posting here will get a faster response. Wow, I'm fickle, too...Thank you.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It was a FedEx express shipment, we do send regular air-mail as well, but it takes 8-10 days instead of 2 using FedEx.

We never CARB certified the old VT line since demand was so low in CA at that time. The kit is engineered to pass emissions testing in CA, but it will fail visual if you don't get the inspector to look another way:eeps:

·
www.my330i.com
1,912 Posts
For what it is worth, when I sold my '01 330 with the ESS VT kit on it to a guy in California long ago, he was able to use Vortech's EO# D-213-17 for the actual Vortech SC and passed CARB without issue to get his tags.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For what it is worth, when I sold my '01 330 with the ESS VT kit on it to a guy in California long ago, he was able to use Vortech's EO# D-213-17 for the actual Vortech SC and passed CARB without issue to get his tags.
Marvelphx,
Thanks again and again. You always save my a$$. I'm not sure where I'll end up being in the military, but Cali is most likely.

AggieE46,
Fedex really does cost that much. I paid $450 for shipping once for a package from US. I guess I could have used my military address if I wanted to save money, but I couldn't wait since I had everything apart for the supercharger and the other installs.

Anyway, like I mentioned, I'm cool now. It was one of those quick crazy reactions looking at your credit card statements. This modbug is gonna break my wallet. You know? :eeps:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I order GATES belts off rockauto.com for about $27bux. Fits great. Im having trouble finding a replacement deflection pulley, I have a Ruville #11281748130 pulley thats intended to fit stock cars with a big metal nipple, is my best chance to have it ground off?? Anyone else use a different part #?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts